Lily And Lou

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Everyone around me started to cheer, and so Lou Barked loudly!

A few people at the back of the stadium laughed. Then they gasped. All of a sudden I saw my sister Lily on the ground, her face screwed up in pain. Lou, her much loved white terrier, slipped his collar and rushed to her side before I could grab him.

“My leg!” she cried painfully. After that she was so crowded with people that I couldn’t reach her.

It had been almost a week since Lily was rushed to hospital. Every time we drove up Lou bounded out hoping to see Lily, and every time he skulked back to his kennel looking sad. Lou whined for attention.

“You want her back, don’t you?” I asked him as I patted him affectionately.” Lily claims that she will not get better until she sees her dear Lou. Don’t worry, I have a plan.”

The penalty was $200 for taking an animal into the hospital, I noticed as I strutted past the hospital sign and into the building. “Play dead, boy.” I whispered to Lou who was stashed in my backpack.

“Good,” the security guard said gruffly to the visitor in front of me. “Next! Wait- what’s this?”

“Err”, I answered “….a dog?”

“Yes, but what type of dog?” he said, clearly irritated. “You know that dogs – in fact all animals- cannot be allowed in this hospital!”

I had to think quickly. “Heeee’s…..stuffed! He makes noises and is meant to look real!”

“Hrumph” he said, disapprovingly. But he let me in. I knew that my sister Lily wouldn’t get better if she didn’t get to see Lou soon.

“Rapp?” Lou asked, as if he could talk. “Almost there.” I said to quiet him down. But there were nurses to get past. They knew the rule too. Luckily, we had another plan.

Just as I was sneaking along the corridor, Lou popped his head out of the backpack. “Hey! You! You can’t have pets in the hospital!” one of the nurses called out, seeing him.

But I was ready. “Oh, I’m sorry.” I said in my most polite voice.

Whispering to Lou, “Find Lily! Where’s Lily? Find her!” I put him down and started to distract the nurse by leading her away in conversation. Lou ran away, nose to the ground, trying to find a familiar scent amongst the hospital smells. He suddenly darted into a room. Cries were heard from inside, of pleasure and of dismay.

As the nurse hurried over, I followed her. I looked in and I saw Lily, her leg in the air, plastered. “Lou!” she said with delight. “You brought him! I knew you would!” she smiled to me as she gave her precious Lou a cuddle.

The nurse sighed, “Well, I guess we’ll have to make an exception for him. He can visit for now, but if he does anything naughty then it’s out!”

Everyone looked very pleased.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!