The Little Ant

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

One sunny morning George woke up and found his mum sitting on the side of his bed.
“Oh mamma, what is the matter?” George asked sitting up strait. “Why are you in my room?”
“George something terrible has happened.” His mum cried.
“What is it?” George said as he jumped out of bed.
“I washed your little green cape in the pond and it shrunk. I then went up to miss Grand and asked if she could fix it. She then stitched other pieces of material on the cape. But they weren’t all the same colour. If you ask me I thought it looked alright.” His mum continued.
“Then mama were is my cape?” George asked.
“George as I walked back to our house it got stuck on that nasty thorn bush. I panicked and ripped it off tearing it in the middle.”
“I ran back to miss Grand to ask if she could fix it be she said it was impossible.” His mum sobbed.
“Mamma that was my favourite cape, what shall I do?” George asked.
“You can go out today and find yourself a new cape.”
“But I’m to young!” George exclaimed.
“No you’re not, now go out there and find yourself a new cape.” His mum waited. “Now!” she bellowed.
George went to the neighbours and took some blueberries from the front garden. As George walked along the path he hit his toe on a blue bottle cap.
“My cape will be… BLUE!”
George remembered one of his brother’s stories. About the blue giants and he remembered were the played. There were always bits of blue fabric there. So George walked all the way to the giant’s playground.
He hid in a bush and watched the giants play. He saw his friends on a thing called THE HOPSCOTH TERROR! That was were all the brave ants played. He found it too scary. They were too close to the giants.
“SQUISH!” George closed his eyes.
There goes his cousin frank. Just then a giant ran past, George held out his hand and grabbed some of the fabric off his T-shirt. The giant did not seem to notice anything was gone.
On George’s way back to miss Grand’s web he past a big puddle. He took a drink leaning down very low, and saw something in the corner of the reflection. He looked up and saw there was a little bit of red fabric hanging from a leaf. He wanted to climb but it was way too high. Just then he heard a rattling noise. It came closer and closer. George ducked in freight. Then the noise stopped. George looked up.
“Nothing there, new it.”
The red fabric suddenly dropped in front of his feet.
“Ooh, pretty.”
He looked up for the second time to see worms surfing on leaves. John the leader of the pack had got the red piece of fabric and thrown it down in to Georges reach. He grabbed the red fabric and ran the miss Grand’s house.
He came back home that night with a red hat and a blue cape.
“George, You look lovely.” His mum complimented.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!