Mark Jae - The Lyrics To My Life

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

My name is Mark Jae.
But no ever called me that.

Dear can you see me, did you forget me completely?
I was always the odd one, the outsider. The alien.
It hurt.

It can’t be removed like a tattoo.
Grade Four P.E class. April 31st 1997.
‘Yo, fatso! Get some decent clothes why don’t ya? Looking at all those rolls is scarring me.’
Kyle McCoy. Class clown.
‘At least there’s one thing good about your body. It isn’t as ugly as your face!’
Cue for hysterical laughter from the rest of the class.
It was the usual occurrence.
He had me pinned against the wall while his cronies took turns punching me, watching my stomach make waves. I put my head down, shut my eyes and will them to go again, for the torture to stop.
They do eventually, sneering at my tear-stained face, telling me to man up, be like the bunch of bullies that they are.

What is it about that person next to you, did he make you cry?
Year 10 Social. The car park. August 4th 2003.
I can still see her face. Those cruel words. The blades of her hunched up shoulders as she walked away.
‘Ya know this fella, Belle?’ Kyle. Again.
She glances towards my bloodied face on the pavement and quickly turns away.
‘No Kyle. I’ve never seen him before.’ Her voice doesn’t even tremble.
‘Why would ya anyways? Now go wait in the car honey, it’s ‘bout to get real messy.’ He grits his teeth and spits next to my head. I know she is crying. I don’t want her to cry. I watch as my only friend walks away.
Kyle bends down, lowering his face so that I can smell his rancid breath. ‘Ya know, I’ve always liked you. They say I have no taste, but I still like you.’
His cold, blue eyes are the last thing I see before waking up in hospital.

Don’t let me go.
TJ Entertainment audition. November 11th 2005.
‘You sang really well,’ the old man wiped sweat off his brow and continued with a faint hint of distaste in his voice, ‘but I’m afraid due to your circumstances...’ I knew, without looking up, that the almost identical stick-like judges were looking at my stomach.
‘...we’re going to have to say no this time.’ I knew it was coming, but suddenly I felt very sick. All I could think about was how cruel this world was.
‘Better luck next time. Next!’
I was quickly ushered out of the room, like a bad smell they couldn’t handle.
‘Look at that fat guy. As if he’ll get in!’ someone exclaimed from the crowd. I didn’t care, because I knew I could prove them wrong.

Life will change.
TJ Entertainment auditions. November 13th 2006.
‘You’re in! If you would follow my secretary here, she’d help you through all the paperwork....’ That same old man from last time. The judges admire my body, that is now half the size it used to be. It's also the start of the new me. The stronger me.

‘Mark, you’re on in five.’
I stand up and adjust my suit a little. Nearly time for me to go on stage.
Today is my twenty-fifth concert.
My name is Mark Jae.
And I am the King of Pop.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!