Élise

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I stopped abruptly, certain that I had heard a sound. A shiver ran down my spine. After thirty seconds of frozen, panicked silence, I decided it must be safe. Treading softly, I placed my fingers carefully on the cool brass doorknob. It turned with a soft click.

Feeling my way in the near darkness, I gathered my sense of direction and then headed confidently for the desk. The rich mahogany wood was silky to touch. Silently, I reached for a drawer.

Locked.

It was of no consequence to me anyway. I reached into my blouse and withdrew the key I had slipped out of Damien’s pocket earlier; when I kissed him. I almost chuckled when I thought of his passionate reaction. Then, pushing all romantic thoughts firmly from my mind, I methodically began to search the drawers.

At last, success! I slid the sheaf of papers out as silently as was humanly possible. Retracing my steps back towards the door, my eyes, now adjusted, scanned the darkness.

As I slid jubilantly through the narrow slit of doorway, a hand clamped tightly over my mouth. All thoughts of secrecy now forgotten, I bit the sweaty fingers hard and forced my elbow determinedly into their chest. My attacker released me with a small yelp of pain.

A quick sprint down the hallway and up a small flight of plush carpeted stairs and I was safely ensconced in the haven of my room. When James came to inform me of the ‘incident’, I was feigning sleep. My dark hair cascaded across the pillow and I breathed evenly. ‘She’s fine.’ I heard James say; and with this comforting confirmation of my successful ruse, I drifted off to sleep.



I awoke with a start, torn from my dream by a sharp knocking on the timber door. Hurriedly slipping into a dressing gown, I pulled open the door.
James, the master of the house, stood before me.
I greeted him cordially, in French, with a flawless accent. It was time to carry out the second phase of my plan. I politely excused myself from attending breakfast, pleading a headache. He made no mention of the night’s disturbance, and neither did I. After all, I had supposedly slept through it.
He gave gracious permission for me to spend the day in my room. Artfully concealing my inner delight, I put a languid hand to my head and thanked him deferentially. He left the room, and I immediately set to work.
I withdrew the papers from my drawer, staring for a long moment at the intricate wax seal. Carefully removing it, I began copying the information word for word in perfect copperplate writing.
As I finished, I picked up the wax seal again. Replacing it, I recreated the complicated pattern easily. Intuitively hiding all evidence of the night’s wandering, I grimly acknowledged the consequences if I were to be caught.
As if on cue, footsteps echoed down the polished wooden hallway.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!