A Deal's A Deal

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Hi. My name is Roxxi Riverts. I am 11 years old and have just had the worst day of my entire life. This is how it all started.
I was being humiliated by Opal for my latest ‘fashion crime’. What did she say again? Oh, that’s right:
“What’s that? The latest fashion in garbage bags?”
I mean, who does she think she is? The fashion police!?
For those of you who don’t know, Opal Sweet is the most popular girl in our school. I don’t know how you get to be so popular when you’re so mean. It’s like everyone is under a spell. Every girl wants to be her BFF, every guy has a crush on her and every teacher gives her an A+ even though all she does is copy.
Take what happened this morning, for example. We were doing an exam. Halfway through the test, I felt Opal’s prying ice-blue eyes watching me. She gave me an evil grin, put her hand up and said in an annoyingly sugary sweet voice: “Ms Rose, Roxxi is copying me!”
Ms Rose came around, had a look at our work and told me I had to rewrite it at lunch. I thought that was pretty annoying, but it was not nearly as annoying as what happened next.
After school, as I walked home, I saw a flyer hanging up. Standing nearby was Kook Cane, a guy who from my school. I know: what kind of person has a name like Kook Cane? Honestly, I don’t know. This is what I think happened: as soon As Kook was old enough to babble a few words, his parents asked him what he wanted his name to be. And he just said “Kook!” Anyway, it turned out the flyer was about starting a spy club.
“Do you want to make a club together?” Kook asked me.
“No,” I replied.
“Please?” He asked.
“No.”
“What if I gave you something in return?” Kook offered.
“Like what?” I asked.
“A weeks worth of chocolate?”
I don’t know about you, but that really got to me. Unlike other girls, I’m not really into make-up or designer clothing. I’m obsessed with chocolate. I was daydreaming about all the delectable sweetness when I heard myself say “Okay”. I came back to reality and said “So…when do I get the chocolate?”
“I’ve got it right here,” said Kook. He handed me a tiny Easter egg that probably cost fifty cents. Then, I remembered. Kook’s mum is a health freak.
I said, “But that’s as much as you eat in a week, not me.”
“I offered the deal, so it should be my weeks worth of chocolate.”
“Then I quit!” I declared.
“It’s a deal. You can’t break a deal.”
“Whatever then,” I replied.
But then I had a brainwave. I grabbed my phone and dialed a number.
“Hello?” said the voice on the other end of the phone.
“Hi Opal,” I said. “Do you like chocolate?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!