Expectations

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

You smile at your children as they walk down the driveway. Their uniforms are spotless, though they very nearly could have been noticeably untidy – you left ironing out the wrinkles in your son’s shirt until this morning, after you failed to get around to it last night. You feel the heat rise to your face and you’re glad no one is there to see the evidence of your guilt.

Your heart flutters when you see something on the kitchen bench – surely you made sure your husband took the lunch you carefully prepared for him. If anyone was to see that his wife hadn’t provided a nutritious and delicious lunch for her hard-working husband...

You take a deep breath – it’s only some dishes left from breakfast. Your husband has just been given a promotion, so you’re having a meal with his parents to celebrate his achievements and relax. You pull out four cookbooks – you need to work hard to make sure your guests are relaxed and enjoying themselves, after all.

Time passes, meals are produced and your energy is spent. Though your guests are hours away you want to make sure you select a ‘proper’ outfit. You remember all too vividly the time your mother-in-law pulled you aside and said, ‘I know my son may enjoy his women in such outfits, but when in the company of others you must act a little modestly, at the very least, dear.’ She’d looked you up and down and raised her eyebrows. ‘Next time, have restrain until after your guests have left.’

You reach for the dress with the highest neckline. The children are safely out of sight. The table is set. Your make up is immaculate.

But your husband is missing.

Your eyes flit to the clock. Your guests will be arriving at eight. You wring your hands. You bite your lip.

He’s still not here.

You go back and check on your food. You rearrange the flowers. You reapply your lipstick.

The clock strikes eight. You remember the harsh tone of your mother-in-law and suddenly the temperature of the room rises.

The doorbell rings.

You stand tall and smile. Everything is fine here – your household is always perfect. You run your home smoothly. You raise your children with good morals, you provide your husband with love, loyalty and dedication.

“Where is he?”

You open and close your mouth. “I…I…”

He appears in the doorway, tie loose, head shiny. Your stomach drops.

“Sorry, love. The boys…they wanted to celebrate with me.”

You clench your teeth. “I reminded you this morning.”

“I’m here now, darling. Let’s celebrate!” His voice is slurred. He grins.

“Come on, I think it’s time to go.” Your in-laws stand up. You know exactly what they’re thinking. What a disgrace. What a poor excuse for a wife. She has a successful husband, beautiful and a lavish home. Her only task is to manage them – and she fails.

Your mother-in-law glares.

They leave you to perform your duties as a woman.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!