Class Captain Speech

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

‘Our next candidate for class captain is Tom Nervy!’
Tom’s heart was pounding so fast, his chest was beginning to throb.
‘C’mon Tom,’ urged a playful Mr Holliday. ‘Just a brief speech about what makes you better than everybody else.’ He chuckled at his own joke, then followed it up a breathy sigh. ‘Seriously now, you have nothing to worry about. ‘ He was shooting Tom down with his electric blue gaze.
By some miracle, Tom managed to lift himself up from his lonely seat at the back of the room. As he waddled awkwardly towards the front of the class, he could feel every pair of eyes locking onto him, like voracious tigers ready to pounce on their prey.
‘Okay, Tom. Take it away.’
Tom gawked down at his cue cards, which were smothered in sweat, and took a swift glance at his audience.
‘Hi … hello, … I’m … my name … is … - sorry - … my … name is … err … umm …‘
Everything suddenly became a haze, as if a film clip had been interrupted by a screen of coloured bars. Wow Tom, he thought to himself. You must be proud of yourself. Haven’t even passed your name yet and you’ve already choked.
Tom just couldn’t verbalise a single word. His tongue had failed him, going dry and limp. He stood there, feeling so exposed, like he was naked and everyone was there to mock his unimpressiveness. He could just simply throw in the towel now, before the first punch had even been thrown.
But as he was there gaping at his audience, he experienced an epiphany. He noticed the odd expressions worn their faces and realised that it was sympathy. The deep, thoughtful looks said it all.
No one there was going to suddenly burst out into hysterical laughter. They either genuinely cared for him or just wanted him get a move on. If people did laugh, he would know better than just to take it to heart. He would be the better man.
Realising he really did have nothing to fear, he wiped his clammy palms on his blue polo shirt, cleared his throat, took a deep breath and tried again.
‘Hi, I’m Tom Nervy, and I am confident to take on the role of your new class captain.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!