The Asteroid

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

In 1932 the asteroid was coming. BANG! The door slammed against the wall. The FBI came storming in. “we can’t stop the asteroid sir.” “Do we know where it is going to hit?” “Jelly city dam wall” “get everyone out of there and around that area pronto!
Over at jelly city there was a guy called Brett wobble head who wanted to be famous. Just then he heard a helicopter. It was a navy helicopter and it was saying “get out of town and go on a holiday vacation for five cents and every thing is five cents. Oh and the vacation is at sunny chicken resort.” As quick as a flash (as they all say) he was gone in seconds to go and pack but didn’t hear what the last words were. (Because an asteroid was coming.) He took forever to pack and by that time he could see it coming he sprinted down the steps and ran out the door, jumped in his ute and flied down the driveway quicker than a tiger chasing its prey. He saw three people. One was hurt and the others were from the navy.

He stopped his ute right next to them and asked if he could help. They said “if you want to be a hero, help us lift him in your truck” “ok” he replied. He helped them lift the guy into the ute. Brett was thinking to himself. This maybe my way to become famous! So he jumped in the car and drove off with the others. They were arguing about where would be the safest place to go.

Just then they heard a BANG! ……. It has hit, Jelly’s City Dam wall!
There was a cough from the hurt man and then he said” bridge” in a crokey voice. As quick as a flash, the navy officers leaned over and said to Brett “where is the closest tall bridge?” “Jelly city bridge” Brett replied and without thinking of consequences he pushed the accelerator as hard as he could. Just then, the ute started to wobble and then they realised they had a flat tyre. There was no time to fix it! They drove along with the clanking noise.

They were almost at the bridge when they saw a massive wave coming up from behind them. Brett did not slow down. They must get to the bridge. One more corner to go! It was a tight one and hard to get around (especially with the flat tyre). The wave was gaining on them. “QUICK!” They made it round the corner. Now they just need to get to the middle of the bridge.

The wave is about 10 metres away from them. Just in the nick of time, they made it and hit the brakes as hard as they could. The ute came to a screeching holt just as the water reached the bridge. Gallons of water was spraying all over them but most of it was pouring down under the bridge to the catchment area below. The bridge has held. They are safe. They hear a whirling sound above. It was a helicopter that came to rescue them.

The city people started to make their way back to their homes. Most were badly damaged by the water. But the people were safe.

A month later, there was a big ceremony for all the rescue teams and Brett Wobblehead for all their bravery. Brett was famous and he got his dream!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!