Demon Eyes

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

My rough breath was burning the back of my throat. My eyes were bloodshot from all those sleepless nights. I stared blankly at the white ceiling. My fists clenched the calm sky blue sheets. I dared not move. I lay dead still and listened to the whispering of the wind outside.
There was a light tapping sound coming from down the hall. I felt sweat drop down the side of my cheek. I hauled my blanket off with shaky hands. My bare feet touched the cool of the wooden floor boards. I shuffled down the hall, dragging my blanket behind.
As I approached the empty living room, the patter became more intense. Tic, tac, tic, tac. The sound was as if nails were scratching at the floor of the back porch. I drew an unceasing breath. Then, a piercing sound made me cup my ears and drop to the ground. Like, nails on a blackboard but four times the noise.
I seized a small kitchen knife from the sink. I crept towards the porch, holding the knife in front of me. As I came closer, I saw massive claw marks all over the glass door that I just slid open. I could feel splinters prick on the ball of my feet from where the clawing marks dug deep into the wooden floor.
The wind whipped my ash-coloured hair. Little bumps formed on my pale skin. I felt my blanket pull me back. The first thought that came across my mind was that it was caught on the door or something but when I turned back, my blanket was released and the door was completely open.
I reached the rail of the porch. I looked out onto the bleak of midnight. Only stars speckled the sky. The full moon hung low on the sky, watching over me.
Suddenly, my blanket heaved off and was piled onto the ground. The door was shut tight and locked from the inside, sealing the stuffy air from the living room. I felt more remorse than I ever have coming out here tonight.
I caught that feeling. The feeling where you think someone is watching you. And I was right. I could hear the heavy breathing and see the vapour of the breath dissolving with the wind.
Something knocked the knife right out of my hand. I clutched my hand and shrieked in pain. My wrist cracked back and was completely out of the socket. The silver knife skidded across the floor.
Its eyes were those of a demon. They were a deep blood colour with glowing translucent pupils. They gazed into my very soul. I screamed in horror and darted down the back steps.
I bolted across the backyard, on the thorny grass. I stopped, bent over my knees and took in constant breathes. I screeched a gut wrenching scream. Those eyes were haunting me.
I felt every vein in my body pop. My body shut down entirely and I knew I couldn’t offer a single goodbye.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!