Nightmare

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I’m just swimming peacefully when suddenly a giant great white shark emerges from the great blue it sees me but does not attack me it just swims down deep “this is bad” I think to myself, suddenly I see a fin in the distance then two then three then four there are four sharks circling me then suddenly they all attack. One goes for my head I can see it’s black greedy eyes looking at me hungrily then it’s mouth opens I can see four rows of teeth then it all goes black.
I wake up. That’s the third nightmare in three nights, I start to wonder why I’m having these dreams. Then It hits me the shiny new high bounce ball my brother got yesterday “take your stupid ball and play outside!” then I think of something “what if it means something, like something bad is going to happen sometime soon”. Well for the rest of the week I’m on my guard then comes Saturday, it’s a really hot day so mum decided to treat us to a day at the beach, I completely forgot about the whole nightmare thing so I reluctantly agreed. It was only in the car on the way when I thought about my nightmares.
The four sharks circling me, the four rows of teeth, those horrible black eyes staring greedily at its next meal that’s all I thought about on the way to the beach but when I saw those red and yellow flags I almost cried tears of joy. “Craig are you all right” asked my mum “ never better” I replied. Soon I was sun baking on my towel when I decided to have a swim, the water was nice and cool on my hot face, after hours and hours of swimming I decided to go back in because I was getting tired. I started swimming but I didn’t seem to get any closer in fact I seemed to be getting further away I looked around but all I could see were those four fins rapidly approaching.
“HELP! HELP!” was all I could do, I didn’t know if they could here my or not but it looked like a lifeguard was coming so I turned my attention to the sharks they were circling me just like in the dream everything was the same then one of the sharks lunged at me like in the dream, if anything was different those eyes were more hungry looking. Just as it was about to get me a strong man like figure dressed in red and yellow tackled the shark I knew instantly that it was the lifeguard, soon all four sharks were around him and no sooner was there blood in the water and then I knew that this man had given up his life for me. As quickly as I could I jump onto the surfboard thing and paddle back as quickly as I could, once I got back I told everyone about the heroic act and everyone bowed their heads in sadness, but then I here splashing and a “flop flop flop” and I look around and to my amazement I see the four sharks standing up on the sand and the lifeguard zombified walking towards us, I asked my to pinch me but it doesn’t work it must be real they close around me one of the sharks lunges at me and everything goes black.
I wake up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!