Bloodo Thicker Than Water

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Blood Thicker Than Water
Isabella Wood
The valley was unnaturally cold as a bone chilling mist sunk beneath the intimidating height of the surrounding mountains and down to the magical village of Niffelhiem. Ikella sat in his cold hut, blowing fire, attempting to keep warm. He could not remember a frosty day like this since the day Gasparin had attempted to take over the peaceful village. This worried Ikella and he wished that he was not the only Jorbet, a purple dragon like creature, who could not fly, with green spikes and a scaly back that shined in the morning sun, left in the world. Ikella knew that he would have to get used to being alone. Many people tried to make friends with him because of his blood which could make you immortal if you drank it, however Ikella knew that these were not true friends. For now all he would have is the fire which cackled and laughed away with him like a comforting friend.

Ikella thought back to that day when he had defeated Gasparin and banished him to another land. Ever since that day it has been pure sunshine and happiness in Niffelhiem, without the evil Gasparin a goblin, bigger than a wolf on his hind legs. The villages thought Ikella was a hero and they would never harm him and try to drink his blood. But although the villages were happy, Ikella was unhappy as his friend Angiak, the lyre bird, had been missing since the battle.

Ikella was woken from his thoughts when he heard a banging on his door. It was a pixie Ariella who had amazing smell, sensed that Gasparin was near Feldunim, a village near Niffelhiem. Ikella jumped up in fright and flew into the village warning all the creatures. Whilst the villagers were hiding, Ikella were ready to fight Gasparin and win! Ikella knew that he was probably the reason that Gasparin had come back into Niffelhiem. They knew that he had to go on a quest to defeat Gasparin once and for all.

It would take one day and one night to reach Feldunim, a hard, long and uphill journey. The quest would be worth it though as Ikella and Angiak knew that fighting Gasparin would restore peace and harmony to all villages.

Ikella arrived in Feldunim which was on top of the mountains. It was early and the sun was just rising over the huge rolling hills. The village was small and extremely quiet, too quiet. Ikella looked around expecting Gasparin to appear any minute. But no one appeared. Ikella looked around confused. Then all of a sudden an evil laugh filled his ears from behind! The turned immediately to see that Gasparin was standing next to an old, rotten oak tree.

Ikella started running through the bush to find cover when suddenly they came to a tripping halt. He looked behind and saw that horrible, green, ugly face and felt a rope around his ankles. Gasparin hissed, “I’ve got you now and I will finally be immortal.”

Gasparin dragged Ikella to his dark hidden cave. The mist had swirled into the cave making it difficult to see. Ikella was thrown into the corner where he listened to Gasparin murmuring “I have now beat you once and for all, I have caught you and you will now die and I will be Immortal!” The mist had cleared and he saw Angiak lying in the corner of the cave, with his wings spread out, dirty and featherless. Ikella was shocked; Gasparin must have taken him hostage. Angiak leant over to Ikella and whispered, “Destroy the orb, it’s the only way”.

Ikella looked into the darkness and saw the green tinged orb. Gasparin looked outside the cave and Ikella knew this was his only chance. Ikella puffed out fire towards the orb and it blew up in under a millisecond! Gasparin fell to the ground shrieking. There was nothing left, just a pile of old dirty clothes.

Ikella scrambled out of his the rope and looked at the pile of clothes on the ground. He must be dead. The orb is destroyed. Ikella and Angiak jumped for joy. Ikella carried the weak lyre bird out of the dark cave and ran the whole way back to Niffelhiem to spread the news.

Ikella smiled, he had his best friend back and knew that he had restored the peace and harmony and to all villages and the creatures of Niffelhiem. The mist finally left Niffelhiem and the sunshine and happiness had returned.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!