Fire On The Horizon

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I sawed through the night sky. The wind whipping wildly on my face, that sent a shiver through my whole body. It was a dry bitter night with a full moon shining through the smokey atmosphere. As I looked around, I saw nothing but darkness. That was the usual case. However, as I looked ahead to the horizon, I noticed a bright orange dimmer of light. There was movement up ahead and I was eager to find out what it was. A fire, I suspected.

I was getting closer. I could start to feel the warmth and smell the burning of flesh. I could hear the yelps and cries of other animals fighting for their lives to get out. I knew I was lucky to be able to sit here on the branch. And that is when I noticed it. Who were these "things". Invaders? Another species of animals? No. Aliens! Definitely! Who were these aliens and where did they come from. Why were they holding giant snakes that had rushing water fly out of them? I had to find out. I just had to!

I knew I had to get home. I needed to feed the chicks, but I hadn't found any food for them. I just can't leave though. I needed to find out who these aliens were and what are they doing. Invading. Yes. "More Water" one alien cried. Why would they want more water? Where are they getting it from? I cocked my head to one side. There tall, that's for sure. They have two feet, two arms. No beak...so they are not birds... not an animal at all! Who were these mysterious creatures? I looked around, the giant snake kept gushing out water. I could see the crystal clear water shining through the fire.

It was getting worse. More animals were yelping and crying for help. I looked below me. A dead Brumby lay before me. How dare these aliens do this! Killing my land! This is not right! They must have started this!

But then it hit me. Water kills off fire. Are these aliens trying to help. Trying to save us. Why? Flapping my wings hard I took off, feeling lucky I could fly. I wanted to investigate more. I needed to find out more.

I flew around a few times the devasted area. All I saw was the burning flames. I could smell their danger. The giant snake was still bursting out water. I didn't dare to take a closer look though, as I didn't want to be seen by the aliens. I still felt unsure. And so I decided to leave. Not only did I leave the aliens, I left my suspicion and weary thoughts and flew back home. Back to my family. Away from this mess.

I was back to where I had started. Back home. I could hear the chicks, here their sweet little chirps. I looked back at the horizon and hoped for the best. Hoped that whoever those creatures were, they would help. I was desperate to find out more. But I was tired from my adventure and I needed to look after my young. I knew tomorrow would be raining ash.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!