Allegiances In The Afterworld

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

A bright glow had emanated from the fires that burned at the base of my home. Standing in shock and awe, I had realized that all of the dreams that I've had growing up at home we're now literally going up in smoke. Going back I consider that it may have been a mistake, deciding to torch the place, however it was my decision to move on and not dwell on the horrifying past. My family had died in a raid during the war that followed the destruction of the International Space Station. Being the sole survivor of my family, it came a point where I stopped caring about my decisions and decided that it was time to face reality and find something to do with my life.

Since the war had ended, there have been dozens of raids by different clans throughout the year; one of the vilest is the Marotosai clan. From the rumors, life on the inside was absolutely brutal. If you weren't in this clan and you we're caught during a raid, you we're only given two choices, join up or face the consequences. Many innocent men, women, and children have been forced into these clans against their will and they live by two rules, follow orders, and survival of the fittest. You either stood against the leader and his assault force of guards in attempt to overthrow him and gain power, or you we're a peon that was as disposable as a plastic bottle.

Three weeks after burning the house and leaving home, I found myself heading into Equinox city. Nearly deserted, I decided that I couldn't go another day without food and had to eat, besides, no one else was around for miles. I found my way to an old abandoned grocery store and found some stale crackers and canned soup to consume and proceeded to cook it with some lighters found at the front of the store. Suddenly, the lights went out and the glass shattered all around me... it was a raid.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who was starving, a few dozen members of the Marotosai clan had broken in through the windows all around the store and a few of them had seen me. I had tried to escape but it was too late. Pinned down, I heard footsteps come closer to me from a pair of loud army boots. My hair was yanked to lift my head as a sword brushed up against my neck. I only heard the last few words saying "Will you join, or will you die?"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!