This Was It

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

This was it, what I’d been waiting for all of these past few days, weeks, maybe even months. Back then I had always been terrified, but now I finally felt I had the courage to do it to conquer my fear.

I had seen how my little sister had reacted when she learnt how to do what I was about to attempt. She was extremely joyful when she ran inside to tell us all. She enthusiastically hauled Mum outside as I trudged along beside her. Now I was starting to wonder if I could do it straight away, like her, or if I would take multiple attempts before I could master this trick.

I could feel my weary body just starting to warm up, the adrenaline vigorously pumping through me and the muscles and bones in my body beginning to work to their full ability. I sprang up and down continuously, desperately trying to jump as high as I possibly could, to the maximum height that my body could possibly take me.

Now I was pumped and ready. The blue, square trampoline seemed only distant as I observed the higher surroundings nearby me. Each time I leaped upwards I saw the top of my house and how unclean it looked. Then I realised that staring at everything else around me wouldn’t make me do this any faster. I was in the correct position and so I knew it was time, now or never. I was hesitant at first but I knew deep down I could do it just like my little seven year old sister could; only she made it look so simple.

Dad had told me that for this trick I needed to keep all of my body close and tightly compacted because otherwise it would make it so much harder to do. I thought for a minute while still casually jumping up and down on my trampoline.

I really needed to be fully concentrated or who knows what might go wrong. I threw my body forward with as much power and force as I could apply in a forward somersault. This was it, the moment in my life where nothing else seemed to matter, nothing to be stressed or worried about, there was only now.

All of a sudden I found myself back on the floor of my trampoline, with a giant grin spread across my face. I jumped up and down excitedly and ran inside to tell my sister and my mum to come and see. Now she would be the one trudging behind Mum.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!