A Secret In Mind

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Aria Coles, aged eleven, lived in California. Her parents owned a farm on a quiet lane. They had horses called Midnight, Chester, Flame, Misty, and Storm.
Midnight was her favourite; he was as black as the night sky with a white diamond on his forehead. There was a special bond between them, Aria wished she could communicate with him, but never imagined it would come true.
By the time Aria was fifteen, Midnight was a strong, brave, caring horse. One morning Aria decided to take Midnight to her favourite place, dream field.
It had been a wet and stormy week. Midnight was calm until suddenly a branch snapped off an old gum tree, right in front of them. Midnight reared, causing Aria to fall. Midnight gently nudged her on the cheek, slowly Aria sat up. In a calm strong voice, he said ‘sorry, are you okay?’ Aria looked around to see if anyone was there. She thought she had hit her head pretty hard, but her dream was for real!
From that day on Aria told everyone she knew that she could talk to Midnight, and have conversations in real language, but all they did was laugh and called her a crazy-cat or a liar.
Once, she asked Midnight why he wouldn’t speak in public. He said that he could be put in the circus and that he wanted to stay with her. Aria felt disappointed, but she understood.
One day, Aria was walking in town when she saw a flyer stapled to a tree which said:
Riding competition
Enter Now!!!
WHERE: Kernville Riding Stadium
TIME: 12:30-3:00
PRIZE: $1000
WHEN: SATURDAY 9th SEPTEMBER
Aria was desperate to enter. When she got home, she begged her mum if she could. Her mother thought about it and said NO, because of her lies about Midnight. That night Aria was furious and upset, and decided to enter anyway.
On the day of the competition, Aria sneaked out of the house at seven.
As she was riding a milk truck came past with a loud honk. Midnight was scared of trucks, and he flew up on his hind legs, rearing wildly. Aria managed to hold on for a few seconds, but not for long. She tumbled off his rump, rolled unconscious down a hill, and Midnight galloped off.
When Aria woke she heard a rustle coming from a bush, and saw a young male cougar crawling out.
In the distance Midnight heard Aria calling for help; right before he bumped into Mrs. Coles and Mr. Coles diving in their old blue Ute.
To their amazement Midnight explained Aria was in trouble. They followed Midnight as he galloped away.
As soon as they got there Midnight reared up high and stamped his hooves against the ground, scaring away the cougar.
Her parents felt so guilty for not believing Aria, they couldn’t stop saying sorry!
They all rushed to the stadium, Aria got changed and Midnight won the competition!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!