Bad Hair Day

It was an ordinary Sunday morning. My electric alarm clock woke me up at 6:00am. I got out of bed and put some porridge in the microwave to cook and then to eat. After breakfast I straightened my hair, brushed my teeth and got in some casual Sunday clothes. By now Mum was up feeding my little sister, Jessica, and Dad was fussing about what tie to wear out to breakfast with Mum.
At 8:30am Mum and Dad were off, leaving me with Jessica. I don’t mind looking after Jess as she is a calm baby. I put the TV on for her to watch while I finished my homework. My homework is always boring…I mean this week I have to look up the word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, is that even in the dictionary?
Great. My sister’s crying. “What’s wrong, Jess? Oh!! Your TV show finished. Well, I can fix that. It’s a TV show.” Then I remembered the episode we had taped last week so I put it on repeat and went back to work.
“Honey, we’re home!” Argh, Mum’s back and yet my homework is not done. My day did not get better.
It was a bit after 6:00pm and we were eating dinner, pumpkin soup, could my day get any worse? Oops! I spoke too soon. There was a huge storm! The power went out which gave me enough time to throw my soup out.
At 7:00pm Jessica went to bed and I used a torch to read my book that I had started yesterday. When it was 8:30pm I got into my pj’s and went to brush my teeth…
My electric toothbrush wouldn’t start. This left me with no choice except to brush my teeth with a mouldy, old red toothbrush which had been in the draw for the whole month! Ew! I hopped into my warm bed and dropped off to sleep.
Morning time, brr, it’s a bit cold today. I wondered what the time was as my electric alarm clock hadn’t gone off to wake me up and I couldn’t see the time. The power was still off from last night’s storm. I scrambled in my bedside table for a watch…8:00am. Ahhh! I’m late for school.
I quickly ran to the kitchen for breakfast. The microwave wasn’t working, no porridge. My electric toothbrush still was not working; I just can’t use THAT old toothbrush again, no way! I grab my hair straightener. On no, it isn’t working either. How will I tame this frizz? No time, no time, too late, I missed the bus.
I finally arrived at school, late, I ran down to class. Caught! Mrs J. gave me a detention slip for being late for school, having bad breath and messy hair. By the time I eventually got to class it was time for Maths, my least favourite subject.
It was one minute until home time and our class was counting down. I got out of class and rushed home. Somehow I got home in less than half an hour. As I changed out of my uniform Mum got home and unpacked the bread…that means sandwiches for dinner. Luckily when I finished dinner there was a click! And the power was back on! Yahoo!
The next night we were having soup for dinner. I thought to myself ‘Could this day get any worse?’ CRASH, BOOM! Another storm…the lights went out.
“No! Not again!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!