Why?

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Why her?

They came up to her, one by one, murmuring their congratulations. I hated it. Loathed it with every fibre of my being.

She would never understand what it was like losing a loved one. He was the Sun to my Moon. He made me smile when I wanted to frown. We chatted everyday on Facebook! Our relationship had flourished until he left for that no-good-dirty-rotten-prince-stealing university. I hadn’t wanted him to go. My instincts had told me that some girl would flounce in, toss her hair, bat her eyelashes and whisk him away.

Boy, was I right!

I would have given him everything that I had: all my money (a grand total of $4.29), my half-eaten piece of chocolate biscuit cake and my much-beloved Buzzy Bee toy. Yet she had waltzed in and shattered all my dreams. One pearly white smile was all it took.

I was disgusted by both of them. How dare she steal my man! We were destined to be together and she ruined it.

I would not cry though. To show emotion would be a sign of weakness. I would prove that I was just as strong, just as capable as her. Engaged, indeed! Soon she would bow under the force of my wrath.

Even so, my illusions crumbled as the upcoming wedding was announced in papers worldwide. How could I ever compare to her? Beautiful, popular Kate with her luscious brown locks of hair. It was unfair. I had my sights set on him since I was born! Our wedding would have been perfect; I would have worn an Alexandria McKing dress and he would be downright dashing in his military uniform.

But I wouldn’t be the duchess. My fairytale would never be. He would never tell me that I looked beautiful.

I collapsed to the floor, pressing my forehead against the cold tiles. A piercing keen rose from my throat, followed by several sobbing screams. The following stillness deafened me, resonating in my head. I pounded at the floor and thrashed and clawed at the grimy walls, raking off strips of faded paint with my bloody fingernails. Then I stopped.

Was this pathetic, blubbering creature really me?

I would not throw a tantrum. I was a young lady of poise and elegance.

It was time.

I would stop the wedding at all costs. Where there’s a will there’s a way. And my will was formidable indeed.

One hand on the sink, I raised myself shakily to my feet. Swaying slightly, I washed my hands and smoothed my hair. I briskly patted down my clothes, smirking at myself in the mirror as I fixed my make-up. Heels clicking on the floor, I strode confidently out of the room, a smile on my face. Oh Kate, you’d better watch out.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!