Money, Money, Money

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I shoot the fire extinguisher down the hallway check that the cost is clear and run out the door. Mum follows brandishing a meat cleaver and covered in foamy Co2. "Fire" I shout and pull the trigger on the red container unleashing another bout of foam.
1 hour earlier
We were all having a nice cup of tea and cake (my family) around the table with a property consultant. We only have cake when someone important is over. You see, my great aunt Marisa died of old age and just last week we got a cheque in the mail with a letter attached. According to the letter poor old Marisa was the only family we had so she left us all her money. I feel kind sorry for the old bat we didn't even know she existed.
Anyway my family plus money is never a good thing. Mum wants to buy a house, dad wants to go on holiday, I'm happy with whatever goes and my sister just wants to buy big. This family isn't a democracy though so mum gets her way thats why the sales consultant is here.
"Sales are higher than ever in Brandishier" says the woman in high heels who calls herself a sales consultant. "My advice is to buy down south then move back up when prices decrease".
"mmmm hmm" replies dad not in the least interested. Mum seems to be fighting a losing battle here. I pour myself another cup of tea and look dully at my sister tweeting across the table.
When the women finally leaves I am convinced that a holiday is the way to go. Convincing mum on the other hand won't be such an easy thing. The last time dad tried to disagree with mum she tried to hire a lawyer and take him to court. My thoughts are interrupted by a flying tea cup coming for me. "You did what" mum yells. I creep towards the kitchen and poke my head around the door.
"I booked it for the sake of us" says dad "this family needs a holiday".
"You wanna piece a me" rages mum bringing her hand down on the table.
I step boldly in to the kitchen ignoring mums stare. "Mum" I say "a holiday would be good dads right, besides it's booked so there's not really much you can do about it". Mum gives me a withering look and grabs a meat cleaver. I run for it down the hallway grabbing a fire extinguisher on the way.
"Fire", Mum is about to bring the meat cleaver home when my sister jumps out the door "stop" she yells. "Aunt Marisa only left us $10".
Well I never thought it would happen but my sister saved the day. We'd all been so hasty about the money that none of us had bothered checking how much we had. I'm glad my sister caught us when she did too or i'd have a meat cleaver stuck through my head.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!