Death By Scrabble

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

A day at home, just my wife and I. I hate my wife! We're playing Scrabble.That's how bad it is. It is a boiling hot day and all I can think of to do with my wife is play Scrabble. I should be out doing exercise, spending money, meeting people; I don't think I've spoken to anyone except my wife this week. We start the game. My letters are rubbish, I play appropriately. With the 'N' on the pink star '22' points.
I watch my wife's smug expression as she moves her letters. Clack, clack, clack. If she wasn't around right now I would be climbing hills, and going on adventures. I'd be in Hollywood filming all the stars. I'd be sailing the Pacific. I don't know, but I'd be doing something other than this. She plays with the 'J' on the double-letter score. '30' points, she's beating me already. I was angry; we carry on playing. The game is nearing the end. She is still winning.
My rack is 'AQWEUK' plus the 'B' I am chewing, due to stress. Then it hits me, that perfect word - 'QUAKE' for 19 points. I wonder if the strength of the word 'quake' will be enough to secure a victory for me. I could feel the trembling of anticipation running through my veins, whilst I'm chewing the 'B'. My wife plays 'death' for '34' points. It scared me, I gasped, and the 'B' I was chewing went down my throat. I go purple and try to cough it out. I go red, then blue, and all my wife does is just sit there staring at me gasp for air... As I gasp for my last breath my wife begins to grin.
My wife just sits there watching and says, 'I Win.'

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!