Magnificent Kite

Finalist in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Magnificent. I gazed I in awe at my perfect, red kite as she flew majestically among the cloud, taunting all those Earth-bound. I laughed as she tagged the tree tops, teasing only to ascend back into the picturesque, ever-blue sky.
“Mr Haywood?”
I felt a jolt in the string of my kite and looked up as evil storm clouds rolled in like a pack of angry dogs, ferocious and hungry. They blew their mighty wind and my poor, little kite tumbled hopelessly to the tune of their torturous efforts.
“Mr Haywood!”
The blackened clouds started spitting acid rain on the world below. Soon my kite was stuck in a hell-bound whirl pool in the sky. The tension on my kite string was so strong it cut into my hands. Then... snap!
“Wake up Mr Haywood!”
I grumbled from my rude awakening, as I was forced out of my imaginary sanctuary, by a nurse who had barely lived a decade or two. “Time for your medicine, Mr Haywood.” She chirped with a stupid, fake smile plastered over her youthful face. “Good for nothing,” I groaned, “these useless pills.” Her perfect smile never faltered as she infested me with medication and walked me to the common room to join all the other inmates.
I sat in my favourite chair by the window away from the mindless heard of cows with eyes plastered to a boring screen that flickered annoying lights constantly and didn’t understand the concept of silence. My gaze fell to the tree outside the window. It was complacent among the blue sky back drop, decorated with clouds. I ached for freedom as I let myself slip into a day dream once more.
With my youthful legs I could run for days! The wind whipped past me and my boyish locks tickled my cheeks as they danced across my face. My majestic kite rode proudly above me.
“Mr Haywood?”
I jolted awake, bemused as per usual at the theft of my slumber and youth. What could it be this time? “Your grandson is here to see you.” I looked at the strapping young lad who stood before me, face beaming. My eyes fell to the red kite in his careful hands. My smiled matched that of his and I was young once more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!