The Eiffel Tower Delivery

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

As the late July sun was setting over Paris, the city of light, 11-year-old Caitlin May and her father descended the wonderful Eiffel Tower. It had been such an amazing experience – like being above a living fairytale. As they were about to enter the strangely angled lift, Caitlin saw something glittering in the gift shop and her attention was caught. Her loving father, distracted for a moment by the wandering Seine river below, didn’t notice her leaving and entered absent-mindedly into the elevator. Caitlin arrived back just in time to see the elevator leave, with her dad on it! She didn’t have any money and didn’t want to leave just in case he came back searching for her. Suddenly realised something was different. She realised everyone was leaving the Eiffel Tower! She ran around the whole floor but everyone was gone, including the staff. She huddled on one of the available benches, alone and weeping as she looked out at the gorgeous view. “At least it isn’t raining,” Caitlin told herself. Then a crashing clap of thunder sounded, followed by a great gust of wind. And through this confusion there was a sudden flurry. The biggest eagle she had ever seen appeared in front of her, majestic and gently shaking off the rain.
Unexpectedly the eagle said something. “Why are you crying Caitlin?” Asked the eagle. “I wandered away and my dad left as the tower was closing. Who are you and why can you talk anyway?” Caitlin replied. “I am Gustave Eiffel, the person who built this building. I look out for lost children on the Eiffel Tower in the form of an eagle. I don’t like seeing children cry so I will take you to your home.” And with that, Gustave tucked Caitlin under his warm, downy wing and leaped into the air. He sailed through the sky across the city of Paris to the balcony of her apartment. She knocked on the door and was greeted with the most enormous hug and lots of kisses from her parents. But when she looked back to thank the eagle, she only saw the lilac colour of her room. It was then that she realised her fabulous adventure on the Eiffel tower had all just been a wonderful dream...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!