Back To The Ballet

“And one, two, three, four, and arabesque, move onto a jete, and finish. Well done, girls! Now you can go. Wait…..Natali!”

“Yes…Miss Maurice” stammered Natali, suddenly paying full attention to her strict ballet teacher.

The other girls left the studio, giggling whilst looking over their shoulders at Natali’s worn leotard and ballet slippers.

“Simone, Genevieve, and Maddie handed in the audition slips for the Paris Opera Ballet two weeks ago. I’m telling you, you really have got what it takes to be a star!”

“I think it is a waste of money Miss Maurice. I could buy food to last two weeks” sighed Natali.

“How many Euros have you saved?”

“One hundred and fifty exactly, but I need new pointe shoes as well.”

“Meet me at the local markets tomorrow and we shall visit the ballet stall .. Oh, and Natali, bring the money and the audition slip with you!”

After a successful day at the market, Natali was ready for the audition. In her bag she held with pride her new leotard, ballet slippers, pointe shoes, and best of all, her signed and completed audition slip.

Meeting Miss Maurice, the joy and excitement of thirteen years of hard work in dance training might have finally paid off.

On the audition day, Natali could not believe her eyes! They were led backstage to the GreenRoom of the famous Paris Opera Ballet. Suddenly, Natali got goosebumps as she entered an extremely bright and spectacular room. On the roof was a dazzling chandelier. Every hopeful dancer in the room looked up at it in awe.

Before she knew it, Natali was concentrating on her port-de-bras, impressing the four examiners with perfect placement, and concluding with a final grand allegro!


The last notes of the beautiful violins echoed around and around in her head as Natali walked out the doors of the building. She knew she did a good job of the audition.

“I know that my great grandmother was a famous ballet dancer. And, I think I have a good chance of being a ballerina” thought Natali. Suddenly, she caught a glimpse of a shiny crystal – like rock. She picked it up and the music in her ears got louder…and louder…and louder…and louder!

It was so loud, that it seemed like a real orchestra was playing. She blinked and rubbed her eyes. She looked at her feet – they were her feet – weren’t they???

But, her leotard was a lovely pink cotton, not the faded lycra she usually rehearsed in. Natali glanced in the mirror of the practice stage, and realized she had become her great grandmother, Delfine!

She recognised the music the orchestra played, but not the dance, yet somehow her body moved like a prima ballerina.

“Perfection!” clapped the ballet mistress. “All meet in the Green Room tomorrow night for warm up. It is our opening night, so don’t be late”.

Natali was starting to get used to her great grandmother – Delfine’s – life. “All I have to do is grasp the fact that I am about to perform in front of thousands and thousands of people – not easy!”

Delfine and her friend ,Isabelle ,were sharing an early dinner of a baguette, and some fine French cheese, to give them energy for the opening night’s performance. With the war coming to Europe, the dancers did not earn enough Francs for luxuries, and had to share their food instead.

“Isabelle, I’m so excited to dance the part of the Lilac Fairy in the Sleeping Beauty, and isn’t it wonderful you get to be Fairy of the Enchanted Gardens, dancing on stage with together?”

“Yes, it helps us to forget the war” said Isabelle.

Delfine did forget the outside world, and enchanted the audience with her gold and lilac tutu. The audience knew something special was about to happen, watching her magical movements.

Delfine, as the Lilac Fairy, saved baby Princess Aurora from death at the hands of the evil witch.

At that point both Delphine and Natali knew that through ballet, they could do anything!

Delfine was still glowing with excitement from her opening night performance. In her dressing room, she sat down and started to un-pin her bun and head-dress. She opened the drawer and … it was the strange time rock. Delfine quickly picked up the rock – and “I’m me again!!!!!!”

Natali turned bright red in the face as the whole class looked at her.”See, I told you, she was crazy from the beginning” sneered Simone.

“And one , two, three, four, and arabesque, move on to a jete and finish. Very nice girls! I need to talk to you about something very important. I would like to announce the names of the girls who were successful in their auditions.”

“Congratulations Maddie, and congratulations Natali. And Natali I have a special surprise. You won the Paris Opera B allet scholarship, so , all your fees will be paid!”

Natali grinned, and thought “I’m glad I have talent. Thanks, Delfine!”

The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!