Happy Birthday Mr Anchorman!

“Hello?” Tom called into the darkness in front of him.
“Hello?” Tom repeated again. He sighed and looked around for his desk. There was just enough light from the doorway to let him see it. He walked over and laid his briefcase down. Thomas heard the door clang shut from behind him and the room was in darkness again.
Suddenly the light came on and everyone shouted “Surprise! Happy Birthday!” and the news team clapped. Some people came and patted Tom on the back, shook his hand and congratulated him on turning 21.
“All right, we need to be there in a half hour,” Tom overheard someone saying behind him. “I bet the new kid was pleased, huh?” There was some more murmuring and then the editor-in-chief called out. “30 minutes, people! Come on, Ronald! Diane, put more lipstick on! And has anybody seen Cheryl? God, that woman makes me sick!” Tom opened his briefcase and looked through his notes. There were a couple of bills and a Happy Birthday card from his sister but that was it.
Somebody suddenly bumped into Tom and asked, “Are you ready, sir?” Tomas turned around and saw Jenny talking to him.
“Ah, Jenny, how are the kids?” Tom asked politely even though he didn’t have the slightest of interest on how Jenny’s kids were going. He wasn’t even sure if she had kids.
“No time to talk, sir, but are you ready or not?” she said impatiently.
Before Tom could speak, the editor-in-chief called out again, “Georgia, Diane and Tom, are you bloody god-darn READY?!!!” Tom was puzzled.
“What?” He turned back to Jenny expecting an answer.
“Tom! What are you doing you old mongrel?” Harry slipped off his desk and rushed over to Tom. “Why aren’t you ready?” he demanded.
“Ready?” Tom frowned. “Ready for what?”
Harry laughed. “Are you kiddin’ me? You didn’t get the letter?” Harry said, rather surprised. “You’re reporting your first ever live show!” Tom stared at him.
“What?!” Tom screamed. Harry patted him on the back and started to walk off saying
“You’re anchorman. Nothing to change it, nothing to stop it. Good luck kid.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!