Back Up

I looked at the other girls. Some had circles of sweat under their arms, staining their once pristine cheer costumes, the others couldn’t hide the fear in their eyes with their fake show smiles. The other girls looked at me with some emotion I couldn’t describe. Anticipation, maybe, fear, probably, but absolute confidence in each other, now that was the reason we could do this. That is what I saw in the girl’s eyes.
Our music started, it was time. I winked at Kirby, she smiled back at me. We were ready for this, the roar of the crowd was deafening, the lights were blinding, until, suddenly, everything went black. I felt ropes, hands, grabbing and pulling me. I struggled, pulling against my restraints, but nothing worked. I heard someone scream out “Abby!” but when I opened my eyes, all I could see was the closing doors of a room. I heard a man grunt, felt a sharp pain on the back of my head, and I blacked out, falling on a cold stone floor.
I opened my eyes. I knew this place. I could smell the ink, hear the wet paper drip, the light didn’t have to come on before I knew where I was. The school Red Room. I knew why I was here. Whoever this person was, they wanted me. Dead or alive, but most likely dead. I undid the badly tied ropes on my wrists. I knew that when I was nominated for Special Force Training that I was going to have enemies. In my missions I’d learnt things that people like me weren’t meant to know, the people on the right side of the law.
The Red Room’s door opened and a suited man walked in. He was short and skinny. He didn’t look much older than I was. Under any other circumstances, I would have found his gelled black hair and brown eyes attractive, but not like this. “Wow, Hello gorgeous.” He ran his fingers along my cheekbones as he spoke, but I shook him off. He crossed his arms, “You know, you’d think they would train someone as good as you would be harder to find. I will regret this, I just wish I’d found someone as beautiful as you first 009, well, it’s Abby, isn’t it? Oh, this is turning into a rather sad goodbye, isn’t it? See, you know things, and I can’t have people like you with that kind of information. You understand. So goodbye Abby.” He took a step forward, his right foot between my ankles, and pointed a gun right between my eyes. I took the opportunity; I used the rope around my ankles, pulled him to the ground, sending the gun across the dimly lit room and put my hands on his shoulders. I whispered in his ear just as the police burst through the door, “Thanks for distracting yourself, you really think I’m stupid enough to walk around without being able to call for back up?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!