War

His eyes were like fire, burning into my thoughts.
I tried to look away but his gaze held me, I was paralysed in his sights. I heard him speak but his mouth did not move.
He was seeing my fate
Suddenly his face changed. His eyes iced over.
The trance stopped.
I stood.
“Are you ok?” he asked but his voice was cold. I could tell he had seen something.
“Yes, yes, don’t worry.” I replied, but my words were slurred.
“Good.”
“What did you see?”
“Lots of pain, very near future.”
I fell, he grabbed my wrist quickly. A bolt of pain ran down my thin arm. The pain was unbearable. I grabbed my shoulder with my other hand just as I hit the ground. My tears slowly dripped to the floor. I knew this wasn’t the pain he was talking about. The man didn’t care. He walked away.
I stood and followed him. I took small steps but I still stumbled. I looked up. The man had disappeared in the crowd. I fell again. A soldier walked to me and kicked my leg. I stood up slowly.
“Go,” he said as he pointed towards a group of other boys my age. I had heard of these, the army gets them together and picks the fittest to go and harvest food for them and eventually join them. The other ones are taken, no one knows where. I walked towards the group and hid myself in the middle but the soldier signalled for us to stand in a line. They put us into groups. Judging by the thin boys around me I wasn’t going to a farm.
We were herded into a truck. Squished in like cattle. With a jerk the truck set off. Rolling slowly on the bumpy dirt road we crashed into each other like a human game of pinball. I thought of the old days. Before war hit and our country became a living hell.
As we drove towards our ill fate, memories of our old home and family filled our thoughts with nothing but sadness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!