Phoenix

Finalist in the 'Honoured Writers of 2011' competition

There is a feather lying on my desk. The beautiful pattern of red and yellow entwining mesmerizes me. Like fire licking at a piece of aged paper, it twists and turns and circles. As I gaze at it, I can hear a strange lilting bird song, like the sound of the wind whispering in the trees and the rushing of a waterfall. I close my eyes and focus entirely on the music, stroking the feather with my finger. As I listen, I can imagine the bird, soaring above the world; beautiful and majestic, dipping and diving like a paper plane. Flying through the air faster than the speed of light, just a flash of red and gold, like a ray of sunlight; I can see the wind rushing past, ruffling the bird’s feathers. The bird spirals and spirals, higher and higher, until finally it disappears in the clouds on its way to a place where I can’t follow. I open my eyes and the music stops. Will I ever hear it again?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!