Kate's Pier

Stars shimmered in the clear night sky, reflected in the black water under the pier.
A cool autumn breeze swept around the marina, sending ripples through the ocean that rocked the boats from side to side.
The marina was a lonely place to be at night, and that’s what Kate liked best about it.
It was her place to think, somewhere quiet where she could be alone with her thoughts. But tonight, she found that she was not alone.
A shiver went down her spine, but not because of the cold. It was because she could feel his warm breath on the back of her neck.
He shouldn’t be here, couldn’t be here, she mused with herself, but yet she knew that familiar smell of his, could feel his warmth behind her, and knew that he was there.
When she closed her eyes, he spoke.
“Are you okay?”
Was she okay? No, not even slightly. Would she tell him that? Not a chance.
“Yeah, I’m fine.”
“You’re lying, Kate.” She felt him lay a hand on her shoulder, “You only come here when you’re upset.”
His voice was like a whisper, blowing past her ears like the wind.
“I’m fine.” she insisted, attempting to shrug off his touch.
“Tell me the truth.”
“You can’t be here, Jared.” She wrapped her hands around her shoulders, trying to keep herself warm against the breeze.
“I just had to tell you that I love you one more time.” He justified his unwelcomed appearance. Her heart melted at his words, and she felt tears forming under her closed eyelids.
“You need to go, Jared, you can’t be here.” her voice shook.
“I’m not going to leave you like this.”
Couldn’t he see that it was his fault she was like this?
If he would just leave her alone like he was supposed to, then she wouldn’t still be in this sorry state. She was sick of him visiting her every time she wanted to be alone, sick of him following her around, sick of him reminding her about the love they had shared, the love that made her heart ache whenever she thought of him.
“Jared, I want you to go away.” She mumbled, the tears now rolling down her cheeks.
“No you don’t.” she felt him wrap his arms around her waist.
It was all she could do to not melt into his embrace. Instead, she stood quickly, trying to keep her footing on the edge of the pier.
“Yes. Yes I do. I want you to leave me alone. I don’t ever want to hear you again. I want to move on with my life, I want a chance to heal my heart. We were in love, but that’s all gone now. You only bring me down, and I’m through with this.” She felt herself get fired up.
It was now or never.
“Come with me.” were his only words.
“Jared, it’s well and truly over. It’s time you stayed dead.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!