Land Of The Seagulls

I stood on the front porch, staring into the cold night. The wind tore through the trees and made them rock back and forth as though they were being shook by a young toddler from the nursery. Clouds filled the dark, stormy skies and struck down lightning from time to time. As I watched, one of them let out a huge, menacing lightning bolt, striking the farm a few kilometers away.
And that’s when it happened.
There was a loud growling sound, followed by a crack of thunder.
Then silence. The wind stopped howling. The lightning stopped flashing. The rain stopped falling.
As I stared in awe, a hole appeared through the clouds. Bright white light poured from the gap, filling the whole countryside with its warm, bright, essence. I breathed in deeply through my nostrils, and was surprised to find that the air smelt suspiciously of salt water.
And then, out of the now widening hole, came a beautiful, feathered seagull. It was followed by two more. They landed gently beside me, and squawked loudly. Amazed, I stretched out one shaking hand to touch them. They stared at me for a moment, as if considering wha?t I looked like. Then, they lifted me into the air, and flew back towards the gap in the clouds. Terrified, I yelled out to everyone I could see. Farmers, citizens, and many more. I even yelled out to a passing dog. Of course, It did nothing but prick its ears.
Desperate now, I flung my arms around one of the seagulls and heaved. The seagull squawked in protest, and nipped my finger. I yelped in pain and stopped trying to stop the seagulls. We were nearly at the hole now. Preparing for the worst, I looked up into the land of the clouds.
And I was very surprised to see nothing more than a beach. A fantastic beach. An awesome beach. People were sun tanning, surfing, licking ice creams, and much more.
It was my dream beach.
Yelling in excitement, I ran off down to the surf hut. "Can I have a surfing lesson" I asked, trying to use my most flattering voice. The guy at the shop looked up from polishing a surfboard. Then he walked over and leaned against the table. "Sure, kid." he said lazily. He pulled out a nice looking surfboard and handed it to me. Then he ran down to the water. he looked over his shoulder. "Coming, kid?"
I nodded and streaked towards the water, preparing for the awesomeness that was yet to come.

Overall, I had a marvelous time at the beach in the clouds. I learned how to surf, went in a surfing competition, got myself an ice-cream, did a little sun tanning, and much more. When they saw I was ready to leave, the seagulls took me back to my cottage in the countryside. I was sad to leave the beach, but relieved to be back home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!