Family Secret (Part 1 Of My Family Secret Trilogy)

"They said she was able to utter a few words before she died."
'The Piano'. It's all right here on this sheet of paper. At first we couldn't figure it out. What did it mean? But we found it. The piano in her house hid the next clue. We don't know where it will lead us or what we'll find there, but whatever it is, we will find it. I know it. The piano is hiding it.

It's a note. Well, a poem, actually. It reads:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
That's where it's hidden,
Ready for you.

Now we are going to the garden. She had a nice patch of roses and violets. We are going to dig them up. I know we'll find something there. And we did...

It's becoming an adventure. The clues are getting harder. The clue is:
Another clue hidden,
With not much time to spare.
Look through the window,
And the place will be there.

She was my best friend and I knew her inside out. But the clue was baffling us. We looked through every window in the house but nothing gave me that feeling.The feeling I got when we figured out the other clues. I'm going home to bed now. We'll figure it out tomorrow. There's that feeling.

It's early in the morning. I couldn't sleep. We're back at her house. Suddenly it hit me! We raced to her bedroom window. I was right. The place in the clue was 'The Place'. It's a large building you can see from her bedroom window. We used to sit by the window and watch people come and go. So now were going. I wonder what we'll find.

It's a new day. Yesterday we spent hours looking through 'The Place' until we finally found something. This time it wasn't a poem. In fact it was just a word. Six letters. Those six letters were R.E.P.O.R.T.

Report. She was smart. Of course she knew there was going to be a report written about her death. So we spent the rest of the day looking through the report and chasing down everything and everyone that could be of help. So far, nothing. Finally we decided to go back to her house.

I didn't get any sleep that night either. We spent all night searching the living room where she died. This feels like a wild goose chase...

I wasn't able to finish that thought. Instead a new one appeared. 'The Wild Goose Chase'. We loved going there. It's a game where you solve a mystery. It's a fun game, and now we're going to play. We're going to find something there.

Of course I was right. We talked to employees and even played a game. Sill nothing. Then we found the owner. He said this was the last clue, the gave us a piece of paper.

This is it. I opened the piece of paper. It said:
This is your last clue.
Two words: My Will.
One Meaning

We checked her will. She had no family left, and everything she had was to either be donated or given to me.


"So that's how I got this way. I'm enjoying life!" I said to my children.
"Really?" They asked.
"Yes", I answered. "Now off to sleep girls".
"Wait!" replied one of them. "Hoe did she die?"
"Do you miss her?" asked the other girl.
Suddenly the started asking all these questions, however I only answered the first two.
"Nobody knows how she died. She was a good friend and I miss her, but maybe it was just fate". I winked at them.

They'll understand when their my age.
"But sometimes I wish the family secret was just a myth", I thought as I walked out the door.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!