Deadly Detention

Rain plummeted from the sky like arrows in a medieval siege. Grey clouds hung in the sky like puppets. The night sky was a blanket of black. The shadowy figure staggered towards him. One step closer – what was he holding? Another step closer – it looked wooden. One more – was it... oh no! He tried running but he stumbled. It was too slippery. How had I gotten into this mess anyway?

It all started when I was walking home from school. But I was late because of detention. No sooner had I walked away from the building, dark clouds insidiously formed. Something sinister was brooding.

When I came to the park, lethal pins of panic penetrated my very soul. Peril pounded relentlessly on my brain like a baton on a big, bass drum. The figure was carrying a weapon. He was walking towards me. I edged away. He walked closer and closer still. My little steps turned into a run. But then a man came out of an alley and kidnapped me.
“Help me!” I shouted but no-one could hear me in the rain. Then the man who was pursuing me raised the baseball bat and knocked me out...

When I woke up I found myself in a bed but it wasn’t mine. A tangled mass of confusion captured my mind. I moved out of bed, looked into the mirror and saw a blotchy bruise on my forehead. Then in came a man.
“Well, good morning. My, that’s a mighty big bruise if I ever saw one! Why don’t you come into the living room for some lemonade?”
“Uh... ok.”
Then I followed him into the living room, brain full of questions.
“Just wait here and I’ll get you a nice, refreshing lemonade.”
“Ok. But... um... who are you?”
“Well after you were knocked out, I gave the kidnappers a little talkin’ to and got you back here.”
“Oh... ok.”
Then a clatter and a rattle of cups occurred. While I was waiting for the man to make the lemonade I looked around the living room. The dog was sleeping soundly and so was the vivid yellow canary as it roosted inside the cage. Then the man returned with a cup of lemonade.
“Here you go. I’ll be right back.”
I picked up the cup and tasted the beverage. It was strange – acidy perhaps? Another sip – did that bird have stitches under the wing? – sip – and was the dog actually breathing? Everything started to go a little fuzzy... as realisation descended on me like a brick in water – just as the man returned...

With eyes of steel the taxidermist entered. I struggled with my thoughts: gleaming tray – menacing –heinous grin – scant air - spiked lemonade – glinting metal – laugh of steel – heart aches – neat stitches – dog – black void... falling... falling... falling...

After that the taxidermist carried the body affectionately to a bedroom where he laid me down.
“Think of it this way, you won’t ever have to endure a detention again!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!