Teacher Mix-Up

Today was Katie’s very first day of grade six at her new school. But, frankly, she wasn’t that excited about it. She was nervous that people would tease her, as always, for being very tall for her age. Katie was very tall for her age. Anyway, when the big day came, Katie dressed in nice clothes, then her mum drove her to school.
“Bye, mum!”
“Don’t throw up!”
Great. In front of everyone. What a good way to start the year.
Katie had no idea what to do, so she just entered the school building and walked down a hallway. She glanced around, more nervous than ever. Suddenly, a teacher bustled up to her. “You’re new, right?” Katie nodded, sure that a million pairs of eyes were on her. “Right. I’ll show you to your classroom, then.” So Katie was whisked down halls as the teacher continued to chatter on. “I’ll show you the staff room at lunch time.” Staff room? Katie shrugged. People must do things very differently here.
“Here’s the class!” The teacher swung open the door and pointed inside. Katie walked in. She stared at the rows of kids in front of her. They looked much younger than her. Katie shrugged again. “Where do I sit?”
“Where do you sit?” the teacher repeated. “Oh, right there, of course.” The teacher pointed at the teacher’s table. Suddenly, Katie realised what had happened. She had been mistaken for a new teacher! The students looked up at her with innocent eyes, not batting an eyelash.
“What’s wrong?” The teacher looked concerned.
“N-nothing much.” Katie said. “Um, can we talk for a second?”
“Of course.”
“Well, you see, my name is Katie and…”
“Nice to meet you, Katie. But your students are waiting, you know.”
“Oh, I know, but they aren’t mine. You see, I’m a new student.”
“Pardon?”
“A new student.”
The teacher’s cheeks turned pink. “Oh.”
“I’m…ah…in Mrs. Pickering’s room for grade six.”
“Oh.”
“Well, um…I’d better go!” Katie said. She grabbed her backpack and fled as fast as she could walk. And to this day, she has a very, very, funny story up her sleeve.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!