Last Diary Entry - Robert Scott

It is a miserable day. Not only are we ashamed that we were beaten by that bitter Norwegian but I have made the painstaking decision that we will not venture any further but instead die as proud men in our tent.
Evans has died and now it is only myself, Oates, Bowers and Wilson. Poor old Oates is suffering from severe frostbite to both feet and he has trudged out into the white blizzard where he will inevitably die. We are doomed, and as our lives slip away we think of our loving families sharing fond memories between us. We've endured the harshest conditions possible and the courage of my companions is amazing! Amunsden may have reached the pole before us Englishmen, but he has not done what we are doing right now,giving up our lives to this icy fate.
As the blizzard blows away our few last breaths, we are not haunted by the thought of death, no, we are instead filled with the pride of our great country to which will be very proud of my cohorts and I in return no doubt. We are neither discouraged nor afraid but we hope that when they find our icy bodies, a tale shall be told of great sportsmanship and bravery.
The atmosphere is not bouyant as our lives begin to leave us and I stare at Wilson and Bowers as they begin to fall into the hands of death.
"Good work men!" I whisper as their eyes open for the last time and they salute to English victory. As I place my frozen pen down and the snow begins to bury our lives, we say one last thing. "How much better has it been than lounging in too great comfort at home." Now the ice freezes our tent and we lay down to death.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!