Kickstart My Heart

I saw how everyone looked at me. I was the second hand piece of trash. But not to you, you took me anyway. You took pride in the fact that you had me. You would flaunt me to anyone who would listen.

We went for long drives. Together, we cruised at fifty kilometres an hour down the highway. Once we got past the highway we would bump and jolt down the dirt track until we reached the beautiful lake. You would rest in my lap and watch the sunset, a cold bottle of water nestled in your hand. We had such fun.

On the way home there would not be a single noise, except for the pesky sputtering engine. Sometimes you would sing to whatever was playing on the radio, and I was tempted to turn the sound down so that I could just hear your voice. But I didn’t, you would have gotten confused. And I didn’t want to explain to you how much I loved hearing your voice.

There was one time when we pulled into the college parking lot and everyone laughed at you. We had sputtered to a stop and nudged the sign in front of us. You kept your head held high, gave a light laugh, and waved it off. You gave me a gentle touch and then made your way inside.

I was waiting for you when you got back out, I always waited for you. You grinned when I came into view, and you ignored everyone who was laughing at you. We left the parking lot as one, our music blaring, your backpack resting lightly on the back seat. It looked to be very full, so I wouldn’t be able to spend much time with you tonight, you would have homework to do.

We didn’t take the normal trip home; instead we went to a part of town I had only seen once. Once we pulled to the side you handed me over to a strange man. I didn’t want to be left alone.

You gave me a comforting touch and left.

For days on end I was meddled with. I thought that I couldn’t possibly forgive you for this. I should have known you wouldn’t have done anything bad to me. You came back and I was so glad to see you that I let out a noise of excitement.

“Good to see you again,” you said as you took me from the shop. That afternoon when we drove down the highway the engine didn’t make a noise. It was amazing. A car was driving slowly beside us and I waited for the typical ridicule.

"You look good," the car beside me said. I was so confused, normally I was laughed at.

When we drove past a window I finally saw why I had been taken away from you for those few days. I had been repaired and painted! Now nobody would laugh at us, I was one good looking car.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!