Black Water

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

“It’s coming!” bellowed the skipper, his long jet-black hair flowing out behind him in the moonless night, as if mimicking the actions of the malevolent flag sailing high above the mast. The look of concern on his face contrasted with the purplish-grey horizon behind him confirmed the worst. As a mass of heavy clouds scattered about the skies violent streaks of lightning raced towards the creaking old ship. The smell of fear seeped into the cracks of the vessel. It clung to the sweaty skin of her crew as a watery mist descended over the worn ropes and tattered sails. As that terrible first rumble echoed around the boat it seemed to carry a warning. Nothing and no one would be safe from its pelting might and crashing blows.

The storm drew nearer, all the while darkening in colour until it was upon the ship a deep-raven black. As the menacing ocean swelled around the hull the seas picked up in momentum and height. Dense foam appeared as the waves smashed mercilessly against the ancient oak in a taunting tune that was steadily picking up in tempo as the mountainous walls of water threatened to spill onto the warn, salt-encrusted decks.

Feeble bodies were being tossed over ornately carved railings, plunging into the raging torrents awaiting them below. The ship quivered violently, tilting first to one side, then to the other like a fairground ride. Though fearful screams rang out, much alike a fete, this time they came from the mouths of men as they are helplessly swallowed by the sea.

As a tremendous crash of thunder erupted into the sky, a wall of water rose up into the air. Thirty metres. Forty metres. Higher and higher until it eventually pounded down upon the tiny, powerless ship flinging the remainder of the crew into the murky depths below, overturning the vessel itself.

The huge walls of water receded into gently rocking waves as the angry, clouds were swept away by the chilly breeze to wreak havoc elsewhere; leaving behind a brilliant night sky.
The inky black waves reflected the shimmering stars scattered haphazardly across the vast heavens. Amid the now calm ripples of water drifted a wooden mast. Clinging tightly to it was a dark figure his long, jet-black hair was now plastered to his face; the same shade of black as the flag that once stood tall upon that cursed, old ship.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!