Call Of The Ocean

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

Jade had felt an unyielding connection to the sea for as long as she could remember. It had always been as if there was an invisible tether binding her soul to the ocean; one so strong and unbreakable that it could mould with her ever-changing life. Entrancing lyrical voices spoke to her in times of unimaginable hardship, coaxing her towards the sea with promises of safety, family and happiness. The presence of those beautiful voices and the bond to the ocean was, although only faint, ubiquitous.

Today was different; the call of the ocean was stronger than ever before; occupying her mind, body and soul. Jade wasn’t controlling her own body; she was racing towards the ocean subconsciously. It was as if the once compassionate voices in her mind had taken possession of her body, forcing her to do their bidding. Jade reached the beach and felt herself take control.

The scenery of the seaside around her was a tranquil slice of paradise. The variety of trees bordering the seashore was a luscious shade of green. The ocean; calm and crystal clear. The sky was a bright, optimistic hue of blue. Jade continued her walk down to the waters edge feeling the demanding resistance of the blistering, dry sand under her feet. Glancing around, everything was perfectly normal. The beach was its usual, haven on earth. The voices had, for the moment, disappeared and Jade was left with only the company of her personal thoughts.

Just as Jade reached the water’s edge her surroundings transformed. The sky became blanketed by clouds as dark as the night. The trees which had looked inviting now looked sinister and evil in the darkness. The impending storm had manipulated the alluring the ocean from calm and clear to murky green and wild. Monstrous waves had begun to crash ferociously at Jade’s feet, dragging sand back into its gloomy depths. Finally, with an illuminating flash of lightening rain began to pour down from the blackened sky and deafening clap of thunder sounded.

Jade should have been scared but the salty water surrounding her ankles calmed her continuously. The harmonious voices returned, urging her to enter the water. Hesitantly, she began to wade into the wild water uncaring of the dangers it posed. With every step further she took into the water the lyrical voices became stronger and the storm began to wane. Something magical was happening; Jade’s legs began to tingle pleasantly and as she became fully submerged in the sea water there was a flash of beautiful, bright light.

Jade was shocked when she awoke underwater, breathing. She opened her eyes and looked at where her legs should have been; in their place was a glorious tail. “This is where you belong; here, with people of your own kind.” Jade heard the voices again but this time not in her head, looking around she saw others like her; mermaids, sea folk. And, for the first time in years, she truly felt at home.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!