Kelly

Kelly

I had a beautiful cocker spaniel (named Kelly), who had been neglected in an home in Sydney. She hadn’t been fed and hadn’t gone for a walk in ages. Her muscles weren’t very strong and she was as thin as a stick. The RSPCA had rescued her from her previous owners and She probably wouldn’t had have survived if I hadn’t adopted her.

Now the thing that makes her special was her behaviour. Whenever children were around she would pull funny faces and play games. She could even play monopoly. But when senior people come over, She would sit quietly on their laps or next to them. She could even paint nails or play chess!! Pretty impressive, isn’t it?

She knew basically everyone in our neibourhood and when my father passed away, she knew what had happened, well almost. She always looked like she thought he was coming and raced to the door, only to be disappointed. We all were sad but we had to get on with our lives.

When I moved out, mum was left with Kelly. Mum was getting old and she became disabled. We couldn’t afford a guide dog so we used Kelly. She was the most helpful dog around. She had an IQ of a young child. She could go shopping and never get lost. All the people at the counters knew who she was and let her go buy and the most amazing thing was, she never stole anything.

But one day, the worst of all things happened. Mum died. She died in a car accident. It was starting to be a great day, but when I heard the news I couldn’t bare it. She was driving down Mona Vale road and a young driver came round and went strait into her car. But the worse news had to come. Kelly was in the car with her and had run away.

I told the neighbours and they said they would try and look for her. I knew that she was probably injured and wouldn’t get very far. I was afraid that someone would have taken her and would keep her. A week later I heard a knock at my door. I opened it and I look out and no one was there but I look down and I saw her. Kelly was lying nearly unconscious, on the ground. I grabbed her and ran to the vet.

The vet said she was very weak and she had 4 broken bones. 2 of which, couldn’t be fixed. I decided that she deserved better than staying home all day. I decided that she should be put to sleep.

I told the neighbours that this was going to take place on Tuesday and If they wish to say good bye they could. Many people came, and lots of people, I didn’t know. We bought her a gravestone which said “To my dear Kelly, A beautiful cocker spaniel who was loved by many. May she rest in peace.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!