Death

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

With a single echo, Death knocked upon my door. His rap-tap-tap upon my door was light and gentle. I refused to let him in, turning my back on Death I walked away. Death grew impatient; he knocked again, this time harder and more insistent. The sound echoed through my empty house. The silence after the echo had dissipated shocked me to dumb silence. My life had left no sound.
Death walked to the window, I heard his heavy feet crush the roses. He peered in through the window, his face the mask of death, a mark of misery. I opened my mouth to confront him, but was left with no words, no sounds of contest. With a single gesture Death shattered the window; tiny particles of glass flew towards me in all their shimmering glory, and their promise of stinging pain. Death floated in through window, it was just the perfect size for him as if I had invited him here. He floated across the floor, his feet never touching the ground for this was a mortal’s residence, and although he could go there, he could not walk there. I backed away, only to find a wall pressed against my back, cold and unforgiving.
Death raised a bony finger at me, his face twisting into a sly grin. It was the grin of Death. With a single movement he plunged his bony finger into my eye before I could react. He moved with such speed, the calculating, preternatural speed of death. Eyeless I fumbled, powerless against Death as all his victims are. His bony hand clasped around my neck and with a fleeting glance I saw my house, empty and devoid of life. There was nothing I had left behind save the empty husk of my body. Life slipped away from me as I succumbed to Death’s embrace.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!