Memories From The Past

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

Memories from the Past

Prologue
In 1925 archaeologist Jacob Baggle made a great discovery of maybe the finest treasures in the world. In 1926 it was revealed for all to see. It was two years after Howard Carter discovered the fascinating tomb of Tutankhamun, but this was much more breathtaking! Inside this Ancient Egyptian pyramid were thousands of papyrus scrolls. Some explained the procedure of preparing a mummy for burial, while others were the pharaohs own words recorded by scribes.

How the discovery unfolded
One sunny morning Jacob was riding in the back of a horse and cart. Suddenly, as the cart rolled over a rock he lurched forward. The force of the bump caused Jacob to fall out the side and he bumped his head as he fell onto the ground. The horse continued to trot away with the cart in tow.
Jacob lay unconscious for hours. When he awoke it was night time. Many questioning thoughts about what happened before rushed through his head like water down a stream. He could not answer one thought before another came. Jacob got up with a hurting hip and staggered his way back toward civilisation. After several minutes of painful walking, he tripped over a rock. Jacob struggled to find his backpack when he noticed it was on his aching back, he was surprised it wasn’t stolen by a mischievous robber when he lay unconscious. He got out a lamp and lit it with a match. When Jacob saw the rock the blunt point made him curious. Archaeology wasn’t his only passion, he loved rocks as well. He started to dig under the sand to find out what type of rock it was. Soon after all the digging Jacob was exhausted, and he fell asleep.
When he awoke Jacob was starving. He saw a bird flying in the sky, cunningly grabbing a stick and threw it at the animal. Two minutes later he had started a fire and was cooking the bird. Now Jacob decided to dig. Later he came back with some friends to help. Soon Jacob called a group of other archaeologists to assist them at the dig. It was painful work but they kept on working. They dug for so long it seemed like an eternity. Finally they dug so far down; they could see the huge pyramid that seemed like it was climbing to space. Everyone thought was it was amazing. Little did the team know Jacob was already looking for the entrance as they stared at the pyramid in astonishment. Eventually Jacob found the entrance. It was a small hole to crawl through, so as anyone would Jacob crawled through, “ah ah…you won’t believe this. Come on.” Jacob said as he poked his head out the hole. Everyone came and crawled through, they were extremely amazed. Standing in front of a HUGE room with candles lit by Jacob exposing the numerous papyrus scrolls, Thousands of secrets were hidden for thousands of years, it was only then it was revealed …

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!