Verity

I first met her at the airport. I don’t quite remember what it was about her that caught my eye. Maybe it was her hair, the way it swayed gently with the wind. Or maybe it was the way she walked, gracefully and elegantly. Before I knew it, I had asked for her name.
I don’t remember her telling me, but her name was Verity. She was in a hurry at the time, but asked if I believed in fate. Curious where this was headed, I answered that I did. She smiled, and said that if fate was kind, we will meet again.
Fate was kind. A week later, I saw her on my daily commute. I wondered if she had recently moved here, since I had never seen her before. I guessed correct. Being a bit interested in her, I asked if she needed any help getting to know the place. I don’t exactly remember what she said, but whatever it was, it made my heart skip a bit. We began a budding relationship, during which I learnt a lot about her.
She was the perfect girl. She was pretty, and I loved her wit. What is more, her ability to make me smile had no bounds. I believed I had found ‘the one’. It was like a dream. It was just too good to be true.
My parents and friends did not believe that someone like me could be with the girl I described. I had wanted to introduce her to them, but, well, she was a bit shy, and I wanted to respect her wishes and give her some time.
They must have grown tired of me talking about her so fondly without having actually met her. I can’t really blame them, I guess. But what happened next disturbed me heavily. I called her pretty, so what did she look like? I realised I could not recall her face. She was witty, I had said. How? I could not remember her words. How did she make me smile? I have no answer.
I wanted to see her straight away. These lingering doubts, they were... ‘painful’ is not the right word. Neither is ‘unsettling’. They had no right to doubt me. And so, I asked her to meet my friends, to meet my family. Reluctantly, she agreed.
It would have been a dream-come-true. Showing off the perfect girl to them, and seeing their disbelief.
Imagine my disbelief when I found out.

“There’s nobody there, honey.”
“It’s not real. It never was.”
“Don’t worry, everything will be alright.”
“Calm down, you’re just a little sick, that’s all.”
“He’s a good doctor; he’ll take care of you.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!