False Alarm

It had to be done. Gilda threw a cursory glance at Kim’s Labrador Sammy who was pretentiously licking his bone across the garden near his kennel, oblivious of what he had done.
Gilda gazed back at the seemingly lifeless bird. It had happened at such rapid speed. Gilda had agreed to stay behind at Kim’s house while Kim went out to lease the DVD. Sammy had seemed rather energetic after Kim had left and Gilda had chased him into the garden only to find the panting dog sitting on the soft tufts or grass with Kim’s beloved pet parrot Paul motionless between two teeth.
Gilda surmised what had happened. Somehow or other Sammy had managed to kill Paul. Perhaps his bird cage hadn’t been properly locked and Sammy had pushed it open grabbing the bird by the teeth. Gilda made every effort to stay calm. What would Kim say? Would she be angered? Would she believe Gilda that Sammy had managed to kill Paul? It seemed rather implausible. Sammy had never shown any sign of injuring the bird nor had it seemed possible Sammy could have leaped and pushed the cage door open let alone grabbed the squawking bird.
Gilda shook away those lingering undetermined thoughts and pulled her mind back into what she had to do. She stood up calmly and ambled back into Kim’s immaculate black steel kitchen. The bird cage stood on a yellow pole. What perturbed Gilda was that the cage was unusually empty; the door shut. No feathers, no tiny food deposits. It seemed as lifeless as the bird. She swung open the tiny door and gently placed the deceased bird inside.
She had no idea what to tell Kim; Kim loved that bird as bothersome as he was. He was old wasn’t he? Kim seemed to have owned him for years. It would seem natural he would die any day now, right?
After that apprehensive business of staring at the ticking kitchen clock, counting down every minute until Kim would arrive back, Gilda finally heard Kim inserting the key into the lock and the click of the front door has it swung open. Kim waved looking lively and rosy from the chill outside, in her hands were two plastic DVD cases.
Kim continued into the kitchen, panting slightly. Gilda’s chest tightened.
“So guess what – “began Kim, but halted when she noticed her bird lying on his back in the cage. She let out a high-pitched scream.
“Why is he in his cage –?”
“I can explain” cried Gilda, slightly confused now.
Kim looked tearful.
“Who dug him up? We buried him in the backyard last week when he died...”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!