Eighteenth

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

I looked around at the happy faces. I saw their smiles; I smiled. I looked over to my left. A figure collapsed. My heart sank.

It was my eighteenth birthday. My family had come to celebrate with me; all of my family. The party was out at my Nan and Pop’s property. They cleaned up the sheep shed just for the occasion. The sight of it was spectacular. After giving the inside the thumbs up, I left to get ready.

Three hour later I arrived back at the property. I saw Pop and ran straight to him.

“Happy Birthday Coral!” he laughed as I hugged him. I beamed at him.

I turned to Nan and gave her a hug. She just managed to choke out happy birthday between her sobs. Soon everyone else began to show up. My best friend Natasha arrived as well.

“Happy Birthday Coco!” she squealed.

She followed me inside as the party soon began. Once inside we took up our seats at the front table. The speeches started.

“G’day everyone, first of all happy birthday Coco; secondly I hope that this night will kick off a wonderful adulthood,” Cousin Bob beamed.

The speeches carried on in this manner; except for Pop’s.

“Hello everyone, I would just like to say how proud I am of you. Not many black women finish school these days, let alone with the grades you got. Now let me tell you something, no matter what you do, make sure it’s for you,”

I went to Pop and gave him a hug. Soon the music started playing and people surged to the dance floor. Natasha and I danced for thirty songs straight. I was enjoying myself. I took a break and walked around. I looked around at the happy faces. I saw their smiles; I smiled. I looked over to my left. A figure collapsed. My heart sank. It was Pop. I ran. I kneeled beside him. Past that point many things became a blur.

Half an hour later I sat at Pop’s side in the hospital. My heart was as heavy as stone. He looked very frail.

The doctor arrived. His words burned into my brain.

“I’m sorry. He won’t last the night,”

I swallowed. I walked back into Pop’s room and broke down. He spoke:

“Coral, don’t sit here and waste you birthday. Now you listen, go home and continue the party. No matter what!”

I did as I was told. The party went on and finished with everyone happy. Early the next morning Nan got a call. It was Pop; he passed away.

I sat in the yard not knowing what to do with myself. I felt strange. I turned my head. Nan was next to me. I said to her:

“I’m not sad, even though I should be; because he will always be in my heart, so he hasn’t really left me,”

Nan smiled at me. I looked over to the fence.

I saw him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!