Famishing Panic

School today was like every other day but then I noticed my best friend Kate had lost an abnormal amount of weight. She looked boney and just like a stick figure. She didn’t talk. Everyone went home while I was still doing chores around the school, as I am in an after school club hosted by the teachers. Mrs. Gin was suspicious of how Kate had been acting today and I’m the source for her to find out so she asked me questions that I had no answer to. We discussed this over and over again but couldn’t figure out what was wrong with my friend, it was so frustrating! I decided to do something about it. I’m not just going to stand here wandering uselessly forever when I know my friend is in trouble. I have to do something about it!

The next day it was worse. My mother granted me permission to visit Kate but now I need to let Kate know I’m going to her house. Kate was still frowning but she tried her best to smile, when she smiled slim dimples carved on her slightly appearing cheeks. Her cheek bones were bulging out and today she couldn’t work at all. She was sent to the sickbay. RIIING RINGG! The bell rang in my ears and I followed out the gate of my school waiting for my friend. She didn’t seem to care that I was next to her! She used to chat more than I could ever possibly achieve. I was starting to get annoyed and I finally snapped when she let out a deep sigh ignoring me. I hollered and complained facing the floor to avoid eye contact to someone I can barely recognize. I saw water drip onto the hot pavement. Was it raining? I finally stared at Kate, she was crying. We reached her house. It suddenly felt as if the sunny sky turned deeply dark and horrid. Her usual bright and cheerful dog barked weakly, and for once in the whole day I felt a bit relieved but my hopes fell when all I saw was a tape recorder stuck onto a toy dog. A million feelings ran through me. I was scared.

I stammered through the doorway feeling hopeless for not being able to save Kate and her dog. Another figure appeared in the doorway to greet me. It was Kate’s Grandmother and she wasn’t normally someone I would like to spend even a second with. Her grandma frowned. I have never seen her smile. As I walked to her she inspected my face as if to try and remember who I was. Her fingers were really slim and long. Her veins bumped on her boney hand and as Kate walked back to me I could feel her grandma’s fragile, stiff body leaning on my shoulder, not co-operating with her own nervous system. Her body was cold.

I want to save Kate. I need to. But how?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!