The Peace Of Dawn

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

Rain pounded the cardboard box. I huddled inside my pathetic shelter praying the storm would end. It didn't. Reluctantly I crawled out of the box and wandered down the street. I saw a Mcdonald's in front of me. Eagerly I circled it and headed to the back. Two massive bins stood there. I opened a lid and peered inside. Rotten patties lined the bottom along with month-old buns. I screwed up my mouth in distaste as I picked up a bun. I didn't want to eat it but it was likely to be the only food avaliable. I squeezed my eyes shut and opened my mouth wide. With a loud crunch I bit into the bun. Eurrgh! It was stale and hard as a rock. I gathered a pool of saliva in my mouth and spat into the bread in order to soften it. "Oi you! Get out of me bins!"a rough voice bellowed at me.I scrambled away from the voice in terror.There was only one safe place that I knew. Home. I ran and ran until I was there. Then I dived into my box and curled up to conserve body heat. My stomach growled hungrily. What was there to eat when you had no family and lived in a box? Instead I ignored my stomach. Hunger was a familiar pain in my life. I closed my eyes and let sleep take me away.

I woke up at the crack of dawn. I hurried out of the box and clambered up a gum tree that stood nearby. It was a daily thing I did, climbing up the tree to watch the sun rise. It was the only time I felt true peace and comfort. I watched the sun's head peep over a hill and splash the sky with crimson, pink and peach. Higher and higher it rose and replaced the sky's earlier colours with a pale blue. I sighed and nestled closer in to the tree. High above me a magpie warbled a sweet song. Peace although brief had come.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!