The Heist

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

Sweating furiously, Vince’s nostrils sharply flared in deep attentiveness. His nimble feet seemed to twitch with every click and turn of the near impenetrable deadlock. “What’s taking so long?” inquired Mikhail in his deep, drawling Russian accent. Vince silently waved him off, continuing his work. Unsatisfied, the Russian’s towering figure loomed precariously over the young American, curious, yet losing his balance in the process. Vince yelped as Mikhail’s huge form almost crushes him, leaping back wildly.
“Idiot,” he snarled, “keep this up and we’ll get caught!” Mumbling apologetically, the giant steps back and observes from a distance. Mikhail noting the incredible rapidity of the American’s agile hands as they attempted to crack the vault. They seemed to have a life of their own. The Russian’s colossal head felt as if it were on fire. He cringed amid the piercing sound of the bank’s two hundred decibel alarm. Just previously had the pair cautiously dashed in under the cover of night, stealthily dodging the high tech security systems. Much to Vince’s dismay, though, their guile was lost as Mikhail had blundered over a cunningly placed tripwire.
Vince ground his fetid teeth as loud as the alarm. He couldn’t work under these conditions. The sound was all but sufferable. Only afew seconds more, he thought in ire. His hasty fingers seemed to move at the speed of light as he concentrated with almighty steadfastness.
“We’re running out of time!” boomed Mikhail, panicking. He could hear the rhythmic pattern of what seemed like hundreds of police sirens closing in on them. CLICK! The vault had been unlocked! The mammoth titanium door sluggishly swayed ajar, as if presenting priceless contents to royalty. The two partners enjoyed a quick moment of triumph before madly rushing inside the half open vault. A sea of wealth almost blinded them. As their eyes slowly came back into focus, their mouths gaped widely at what the vault contained.
Precious pearls stacked high above the criminals. Glittering diamonds placed gloriously in a titanic pile. Thick gold bullions, assembled in an orderly fashion. Gleaming sapphires, shining rubies and sparkling emeralds as far as the eye could see. Thousands of radiant gemstones were strikingly situated all around the vast chamber, glistening brightly. The immense scope of the room was in dead silence, save for the hammering hearts of the duo. Without additional admiration of the vault’s exquisite contents, Vince instructs his immense associate to begin loading their duffel bags with riches.
The sudden, gut-wrenching bellow of “STOP!” echoed through the space, as if it were called from atop the highest mountain. Dread pulverized their hearts, as they whipped about to see the vault entrance swarming with a menacingly still sea of armed peacekeepers. The game was up. Mikhail felt an overwhelming surge of remorse stream intensely through him. He watched in disgust as Vince viciously squirmed in an attempt to flee from the wall of constabularies. The golden glow of the vault slowly faded as it was sealed shut once more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!