A Bushranger's Story

Since I was a little boy, I’ve always wanted to see what dad’s work was about. My mum had passed away when I was five. I never went to school because dad couldn’t find enough money to pay for the fees and excursions. One day when dad was at work I followed him through the bushes… the weird thing was that he said he was a butcher. He went and robbed a stage coach. I was hiding behind a bush. I saw him kill one of the women because she refused to give him a necklace. I was so shocked to find dad could do such a thing. I couldn’t believe it!
As time passed I lived in bad memory of murder. One day, dad went to work. As night flew by, I waited for him to come home. I waited for hours, but he didn’t come home so I went to bed. That night I had at terrible nightmare that my dad was dead.
The next morning I watched television since there was nothing to do. I watched the news. It says that a group of bushrangers have been captured last night. I saw one of the pictures which looked like my dad. “They’ve captured him,” I thought to myself. I knew from then on, I had to be…..a bushranger!
As years passed I didn’t do anything. I’m now a teenager who is living on his own. I turned on the television. I watched the news and dad escaped from jail! The front door squeaked. I couldn’t believe it, but it was definitely dad. “This means the police will be looking for you,” I said. We had to move out the next day, but I couldn’t because I had a girlfriend. He asked me what her name was and I proudly said, “Sarah.”
I was thinking about becoming a bushranger and also thinking that maybe Sarah could come with us because we were thinking of getting married. Dad was really proud of me. That night I invited Sarah to come over for dinner and meet dad. I told her about us moving to Bathurst and if she would like to come too. She said yes.
Six months after our journey we finally arrived. Sarah and I got married. Right after the wedding dad got shot in the back by a policeman. I cried for days, maybe even months. After a while I thought I should move on with my life.
I tried out for several jobs and ended up as a butcher in the town. It was enough pay for Sarah and me to live off. When I got home I told Sarah about what my job was without even looking at her. She stood there looking at me with a pale face and she was BLEEDING!! She fell on the cold floor. There was a man behind her. I chased him and I was surrounded by police. I was sent to jail for my entire life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!