Waking The Night Birds

Surviving the risk of sleeping outside

A man was shouting at the top of his voice, outraged. Heart racing, I sneaked toward the back of the house, where I could hear a woman trying to calm him down. I couldn’t make out what they were saying, but it was enough to make my skin tremble and I knew it meant trouble for me!
I pulled on my blue sweater, trying to hide my bright yellow top. Alert, I scrambled under the windowsill to the shed behind the castle, where the secret key was. If the key was lost, I was dead. I had to find it!
All of a sudden, the shouting stopped and a window opened. The man was scanning the backyard for me.
As soon as it was safe from the devilish eyes of that man, I quickly sprinted out of my hiding place to the shed. I felt across the old wooden wall that hid the key, thinking that in a moment I would be safe and sound in my bedroom. But when I opened the secret place, the key wasn’t there! For a moment I was dumbfounded, rooted to the ground. Then, something tapped me from behind.
It was Doris the cat. She meowed, and tapped me again. Phew! I wiped a bead of sweat off my face and slowly picked the cat up. I rubbed her under her chin, and she purred, enjoying the affection.
She jumped out and strolled off to the bushes. I set on to find the key. I carefully walked out of the shed. Remembering that my second hiding place was behind the water tank inside a fake rock, I crept quietly to the venue. I rummaged through the rocks, trying to find the fake one. But I could not find the key.
Where was it?
I searched frantically, going from hiding places to hiding places, from the bird cage to the dog house, then the dog house to the man’s ash tray. I was looking under leaves, the rubbish, inside the doll house, and considering rather seriously whether I should dive into the pool or not to my 14th hiding place! Finally, when I reached my 15th, I found it!
It was glistening in the few strands of moonlight that managed to crawl through the thick grey cloud, under the old KFC box from 3 months ago.
Thrilled, I tiptoed to the back door, my usual entrance, and put the secret key into the secret keyhole. No-one in my family can find the keyhole. They are too dumb. I turned the key, and quietly opened the door. Turning the light switch on, I was astonished to find the man standing right in front of me.
"D-Dad! How did you know?" The man, being turned into a giant, now confronted me with his crinkled brows, ready to give me an earful. Moments later, a roar shook the sleeping town, and I am pretty sure that everyone, even the night birds that were flying, knew it was my dad yelling at me for coming home at midnight again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!