Waiting

The night air seemed to whisper as it swept past me. I felt a chill run down my spine, and knew that it was getting late, just from the coldness of the wind. Glancing up at the clear night sky, you can see so many stars up here. Looking down over the cliff on the people below in their busy lives, knowing they can’t see what I see. It almost seems like a surreal fantasy. It IS a Surreal fantasy. Time seems to stand still up here.
Sitting here, waiting for you; it exhausts me. Not just tonight, but every other time we agree to meet. You keep me waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

Is this your sick way of keeping me interested?
Did you think that I’ll give in to curiosity?
If you did, you were right. I did come out of curiosity.

Sighing in frustration, I run my hand through my long, curly brown hair. I can’t wait forever. Not if you’re not going to meet me halfway. It seems like I’m the only one to put effort into this relationship. It’s not just. But that’s life, isn’t it? If life was fair, it wouldn’t be interesting.

Interesting.
One way to describe you. Another would be dark brown hair, tall, creamy white skin, with big bright blue eyes, and a winning smile. That was how you hooked me, wasn’t it? You knew all too well that I would fall for you instantly, and all you had to do was turn on the charm.
But what I don’t seem to understand is that… though you started this, you don’t seem interested. We talk in private, but never around your friends.
You hold my hand and hug me from behind when we’re alone, but never in a public place.
Have you any idea how frustrating this is?
I can’t keep waiting for you.

That’s another reason I came tonight.
To tell you that I’m no longer your rebound in between relationships.

Though, I’m not sure how to tell you that. Lately, you’ve been upset. I can tell.
Everyone can.
Why won’t you tell me what’s wrong? I know I might not be the best person to tell, but I need you to know that you can tell me anything.
That’s a sure sign that I’m still interested in you.
Why am I being so masochistic? If I stay in this… this ‘relationship’ any longer, I just might end up alone.

“Sorry I’m late.”
I turn to see you leaning against your car, and as I rise off the ground, you walk forward to meet me half way.
“What did you want to talk about?” I ask you. Your face is unreadable in the dark, and I have a feeling that this talk couldn’t be good.
You shift from foot to foot and walk towards the bluff and look up at the stars. I watch you as you stare, and I can’t help but to feel grateful for this moment alone with you.
I walk towards you from behind; I take your hand in mine, watching your face for any reaction.
I see your mouth move up in a slight smile, as you squeeze my hand back.
There it is. The thing that makes me want to be around you all too much. The thing that keeps me around, when I want to be away.
You just keep pulling me back.
“I’m not sure I can actually build up the courage to tell you.” You say to me, smiling nervously down at me. I keep my face blank as I study your features. You’re afraid.
"You don't want to be alone."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!