Daffodils

The strong wind ruffled her hair, her clothing; pulling all thoughts away from her. The aggressiveness of it whipping her frail little body, lashing at her insides, seemed like a punishment. As a consequence of what she had done, the world had decided to unleash all of its ferocity on her. It took all of her strength to stay standing.
The constant beating was tearing through her limbs, and her knees buckled wildly. She sunk to the ground, meekly covering her head with her hands, to protect herself the best she could.
The warm salt tears fleeing from her face pooled in a little lake on the ground. They quivered violently on the shaky earth, trembling on the bare patch of the garden where the daffodils once grew, rocking with the force of Mother Nature.
She watched her tears seep into the ground, and imagined the daffodils flowering once more, fertilised by the warmth and love found in her tears.
She could almost see the beautiful yellow petals opening again to bask in the glorious rays of sunlight streaming through the clouds. She could hear the faint echo of her mother’s laughter, and the voice as soft as wind chimes that belonged to her sister. She could feel her father’s arms wrapped around her, his chin resting on her head, his fingers tickling her belly, and his strong, confident voice cracking silly jokes.
But, of course, none of that would ever happen again. Not after what she had done, the accident she had caused.
The daffodils in her imagination slowly withered away to nothing. All that was left was the ash that filled the whole lot, covering the ground, and flying through the wind. And the memories.
The spring always brought good things to her family. Spring was the season when they spent the whole afternoon in the sun, planting flowers, overflowing the garden bed. Everyone agreed that daffodils were the best flowers. The strong sturdy stem, holding the magnificent flower high in the air, the bees always circling, searching for the nectar; nothing bad could happen during that time.
Daffodils meant the end of the dark, dreary winter. It was the final escape of the bitter frosts and bone-chilling numbness of the cold. It meant a new beginning, and a fresh start.
This time though, the daffodils had only brought grief, mishap and more icy wind.
But, as always, the growth of the flowers had brought a new beginning, and a fresh start. Not one that anyone would be pleased with, or something someone could want, but a beginning all the same.
As she trudged away from the catastrophic remains of her old life, she tucked the last daffodil left behind her ear. It was the only thing she had managed to save on that tragic day. Not her mother, or her sister, or her father. Just a flower. But, it wasn’t really just a flower; it was a part of her, and her family. A part of the good times they had shared. It was memories.
And they were something that, unlike her family, would always live on.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!