Left Behind

Living in Esperance a family of three one young boy the age of thirteen
His father got a job in perth.
His mother delighted and began to say “ I didn’t really like this place anyway.”
Astounded by the news I didn’t really mind but asked him when we were leaving.
He said “Tomorrow my son so go pack your bag, be a good boy and listen to your dad.
Not sure what to think I did what he said but didn’t leave the room I just watched instead.
Mothers happy facial expression started to fade she took a deep breath and said “Well then we’ve got no time to lose you get the bags and I’ll move this broom.”
While this was going on I just stood there amused with shadow at my feet and Carrot-cake on my shoulder.
“Are Shadow and Carrot-cake coming on the plane with us.” I asked
“well I guess they could I didn’t think of that.”

The Morning came of the moving day while we were only half packed and mother complained.
I squashed my stuff into the back of the truck then came back to
help mum and dad who were having trouble with their stuff.
Shadow was barking at a neighbouring cat while Carrot-cake flew around the house as if he was a bat.

Ahh... in the plane time to relax.
I heard a bark from the plane down in an airtight hatch.
I wondered how Shadow and Carrot-cake going then realized with a shock.
Shadow and Carrot-cake had not boarded the plane but were waiting down at the airport.
I’m insane I shouldn’t have left them there oh what a pain.
I forgot.

A run to mum ready to scream and shout, she must have seen the look on my face and asked me “what’s the matter Jake you look kind of pale.”
“It’s Shadow and Carrot-cake there not on the plain!”

“There they go, “ said Shadow as he sat there sad.
“ I wonder if they’ve realized that I’m not on there.
We’ve been left behind once again oh what a mess were in, what a pain.”

“What do we do, I’m just a dog,” “wait,” said Carrot-cake
“I know just the cat for the job.”

“If you can get on this train it’ll take you halfway,” said the cat who spoke in the most suttle way. “After that I don’t know but get on it straight way.”

We took the cat’s instructions and got halfway to Perth.
Then we saw the ranger and hid in the earth.
Luckily he didn’t see us and we continued on our journey to Perth.
We hitched a ride on the back of a ute then we walked a few more K’s.
Finding we were tired we stopped for a rest in the.
Then saw a fire brigade drive past and we jumped in it straight away.
We walked and walked for hours on end on so hot I was in a daze.
Is that a sign could it be, no it couldn’t because according to my calculations the sign’s every 50 kilometres and from the last one we had only walked 15 k’s.

I ran up to the sign in excitement.
Reading Perth I looked to see how far away it was, but it was to high up so Carrot-cake flew up to see how far away Perth was.
Then he came down and told me there was 50 kilometres until Perth.

“I’m so hungry,” said Carrot-cake “yeah I’m hungry too.” said shadow
Despite there hungriness they continued on there journey.

It was growing dark when finally they came across a light.
One by one more lights appeared when finally they found it.
The city they had been looking for all this time, Perth.

To find their house was another problem itself so instead they went to the close’s shop and I started barking, so the shop keeper wrang the phone number on it.
Then he took us in his car and drove past a bar to our new house.
When we got there I was so happy I started and Carrot-cake flew out of the car towards the house.
Jake opened the door hearing the great news and flung his arms around me.
His mum and dad stood there happy that he was happy.
Jake asked them, “How did they get here?”
His mum replied “I don’t know jake, what I do know is that it will always remain a mystery.”
Then I spent the whole afternoon playing charades with jake trying to tell that Carrot-cake and I walked all the way over here.
Oh well I guess he will never know.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!