DAD

Today dad was late, again. I can hear him creeping up the stairs now quiet not to wake me. He tiptoes up the hallway and sticks his head through the door.
“Night kiddo.” he whispers with a smile on his face, he then leaves my room as quickly and as quietly as he entered.
“Night dad.” I whisper to the space in the wall that was him 10 seconds ago.
*
Dads been working a lot lately. It means he gets home late and he never has any time for us. Even on the weekends when he is supposed to be relaxing he always sits in his office making more wrinkles spread across his face. I know that he has to work to make money to keep me in school and keep a roof over my head but I miss my dad, my old dad.
*
I failed a math test at school today. Its all because of dad. I needed him to help me study and explain things to me but he just sat at his desk working and scowled at me when I tried to ask for help. He never has anytime for me now. I miss my dad, my old dad.
*
Im sitting home again drawing pictures of people because I have nothing to do. I am looking at a picture of my family on our last vacation together. My dad, my mum, my brother and myself. I remember that day clearly all of us on the beach, me learning to surf, my brother carving up the waves next to me, dad pushing me onto waves and laughing as I face planted in the clear blue water and mum reading her magazine on the beach. We’re not a family any more though, my mum left my dad and the kids 3 years ago and my brother left home as soon as he was old enough, which was 2 years ago. I sometimes detest my brother for leaving me alone with the lifeless Gollum that used to be my father, but I know I would have done the same. Now its just me and the workaholic. I miss my dad, my old dad.
*
Today I spoke to mum for the first time in 1 year. I bumped into her at the supermarket and we small-talked about things such as the weather. What I wanted to do was slump into her arms and cry about missing her and my problems with dad while she hugged me like she used to but I quickly realized that it wouldn’t happen. It would never happen again. I walked home and checked the office for dad but he was not there to help he was at work. Being as useless as mum. I miss my dad, my old dad.
*
Today dad was home early, though I did not know why. I didn’t care though as he took me out for ice-cream to the ice-cream shop down the street. I thought this was strange but I didn’t ask why, I just savored the moment. I then found out why. He had quit his job as the hours were killing him and he wanted to spend time with me. He then told me everything he had said to his boss and we laughed together for longer that we had in ages. I realized that I would have to leave my private school to go to a public one. That we could move house as we probably couldn’t pay rent. But I didn’t mind I had find my dad, my old dad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!